Re: [Epic] artillery

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 21:01:38 +1000

The artillery rules "as is" have a certain charm, ie simplicity. If you
were to try to make them remotely realistic, you'd have to fix some of
the even more -ah- strange stuff first.

Now let's assume we don;t all want to play Dirtside II. I might add that
if you want something more "realistic", then DSII is probably the best
on the market. But let's just say you want to smooth over the worst
faults, retaining E40K as the basic system.

The first thing required is to have all FP be at half effect at double
its given range, 1/4 effect at triple, 1/8 at quadruple etc. Thus a
detachment of 12 Ork Boyz and a Warboss could fire with a strength of 13
at 30cm, 7 at 60, 4 at 90, 2 at 120, and 1 at 150cm.

Next, treat SHWs similarly, but they can only double their distance, and
they must make a "lock on" roll if at targets over the normal range. If
they miss twice, they don't count as SHWs firing. If they miss once,
they count as SHW firing but can't hit. If they make them all, then they
hit as normal.
So 1 Land Raider on assault could fire 2 shots at a target up to 90cm
away, each requiring 2 consecutive rolls of 4+ to lock on (one for
Assault, one for over 45cm).

Artillery: Things that a) Use the Barrage Template and b) Are counted as
Artillery, should have essentially unlimited range. But if fired at a
target not in line of sight, or over the normal range, should have their
effect halved, and quartered if both out of LOS and out of normal range.
The justification of this is that when firing at targets in sight at the
normal range, they're doing so "over open sights" using 3-4 times the
normal Rate of Fire, and probably using Canister/Beehive/Flechettes.

Stuff which is artillery but not barrage, or barrage but not artillery,
follows the normal rules without change.
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo