Re: [Epic] Sorting out the Dominatrix

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 18:36:37 -0600

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> Given our recent emails re the crumminess of the Dominatrix in actual
> battle has anyone got any ideas to "sort her out" as regards some house
> rules.
>
> Firstly one could lower her points value (running her through the Epic
> points calculator - slightly adjusted by me) she comes out as "really"
> being worth around 190 points. I know the Calculator doesn't really work
> for Titans and certainly I've not added anything for her having a Damage
> capacity. But one could lower her points value to this sort of area which
> would make her cheaper and therefore potentially less wasteful of
> morale/points when she gets destroyed.
>
> Alternatively one could consider raising her DC. It seems silly that the
> Tyranid Supreme Commander has less DC than a Hierophant or indeed a
> Hierodule. Something around 20 or even 25 might be more in order and
> would make her harder to kill. Or I suppose an adjustment of the "warp
> save" would have the same effect.
>
> A#

  I think her biggest problem is with the 3 or 5 BM's to shut down her
weaponry.She needs a FP weapon, like replacing the 3X antitank with 10 or 12
FP. The fact that her Dam capacity is lower than a heirophants doesn't bother
me; the heirophant was bred to get in the face of the enemy, while the dom was
not. I think the real problem is that their points calculation system (if they
had one) for titans doesn't work, and I don't think they playtested them
enough to know that. I think they overvalued armor with regard to the plethora
of AT, Deathray and D-cannon out there.

The way BM's affect war engines is probably bad all the way around as well;
I've stated before that WE's are too big to be affected by the same
suppression rules as infantry, unless you want to divide the actual number of
BM's by 3 or 4.

Rambling towards conclusion: Replacing the AT shots with maybe 12 FP would let
the dom be effective at least. Biotitans need the deathray back and need a 4+
save vs critical damage. That I think would work, and save us the argument of
recalculating points.

Thane