Re: [Epic] Jervis' Letter

From: Marc <tw44645_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 15:23:28 +0100

Here we go again (like the song :) ).

At 16:07 4/03/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Marc wrote:
>>
>> Again about this stupid letter ...
>>
>> If you think it is funny to say that 'all english are greedy' or that we
>> 'beat the greedy europeans' ass in two wars' is funny, it is your right.
>
>I don't know this guy but I HOPE this was only a bit of sarcasm, don't
>you?

I hope it too.

>I live in Tuscany, and in my town, Grosseto, we have a sort of rivalry
>with Siena
>this date back to medieval age when we was under Siena submission, this
>cause
>some disagreement but nothing really serious it's just an amusing
>competition.
>How can you respect other peoples if you don't understand this?

I have never seen you making sick agressive remarks about people of Sienna
*on this list*.
So I don't have anything to say about it.

In fact, we have exactly the same in Belgium.
French speaking people make jokes about dutch speaking and vice-versa .
But I will never call dutch speaking people 'fucken greedy flemish bastards'
on this list (or nowhere else, BTW).

I am very surprised that you didn't seem to understand what I meant.

>> I am not english (and I don't feel very european )
>
>ok 'all english are greedy' it's bad and 'I don't feel very europen' it
>isn't?

Strange that you compare those two remarks.The first one is aimed at a
group.The second one is a personal remark on my own feeling.

>it seems a contradiction to me....

I fight racism, xenofobia and prejudice where it presents itself.
If I hear those kind of remarks about arabs, jews, africans or *anybody*
else, I would reply the same way.
I never tire fighting prejudice (prejudism ?) or xenofobia in private (if I
get adressed in private) or in public (if I get adressed in public, like you
do, Lorenzo) because I think it is the number one problem in our society.
So, as a response to your question, it doesn't care if I feel european or
not, because what makes me sick is the *fact* of racism, and not the
targeted group or ethny.

I also don't care to look like 'the bad guy' (as someone pointed it to me in
private) because this cause is very important to me, and I will never ever
stop to try to fight it when I think that a certain line of decency has been
crossed.

If you are not happy, put me in the 'killfile' (wow :) ) or push the
'delete' button.

What I also remarked (when I receive those 'support' letters in my private
EMail) is that people are obviously 'reticent' to argue those kind of public
remarks.This gives me more energy to fight it in public (if I don't do it, I
really have the feeling that nobody will).

>> but I always thought that
>> calling people 'greedy <group, nationality or ethny>' is called
>> 'racism'.Don't you ?
>
>...depending on the context and the the person who say it .....

That is exactly what I say, but as we don't know Harvey or its context (like
you said) , it is very 'dangerous' to post those things *in public*.Here was
the problem.

>> I do.That's why I don't find it funny. It is my right too. That is why I
>> told Keith He answered me that I should tell it to the person that wrote the
>> message and not to him, and period.
>>
>> That's all.

Now, I I want to make clear do I do not think that Harvey is racist or
something.

Anyway, I hope that people will think more before pushing the 'Send' button.

Let's rant GW now (joke) !

OK ?

*
Conclusion of the whole case : A private posting or a posting on a public
list are two very different things :).
Let's not forget it (me neither).
*

I will be happy to continue the discussion in private (or on the list if you
continue to post in public).

Marc.
Marc Feuerstein

http://student.vub.ac.be/~tw44645/
mailto:tw44645_at_...

La plupart des hommes n'ont que ce qu'ils m�ritent...les autres sont
c�libataires.