Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Colin Partridge <9404237p_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:07:50 +0000

Brett Hollindale wrote:
> I don't know Chad, I issued the challenge "you don't need to defend titans",
> and what I have so far is four (count 'em - 4!) replies suggesting that
> while it is a valid interpretation, "we're sure that's not what GW meant",
> one reply of "no I haven't checked the rules 'cause whether it says that or
> not I'll continue to insist that we do it MY way" and a suggestion that I
> "drop the subject for pity's sake"...

It seems that your interpretation of the rules relies on the
definition of pinning. That is to say:
         are you pinned when in base to base contact OR
         when engaged in close combat
I believe you mentioned that you weren't sure about this yourself

 I have to admit that I have never considered this distinction until now, but
then the only time there is a difference is when attacking Titans.
Unfortuneately I don't have access to the rules at the moment but as
soon as I can, I promise to go over them with a tooth pick. Although
I believe someone else has already said that he thinks that the
latter case is the correct one.

However in the case that your interpretation turns out to be correct
I'm going to have to be added to the list of those who said "I don't
think this is what GW meant". This is because it would mean that
only skimmers and jump troops could actually attack a titan in close
combat. What are orks and other races with no such troops (that I
can think of) supposed to do.

On the other hand I believe part of your interpretaion was that if
the Titan was already pinned, troops could move past the edge of the
base( this is another thing I'll have to check). This conjours up
images of a Superheavy charging a Titan, with swarms of foot
troops pouring out to attack the Titans legs, which I rather like the
idea of.

Now while we're on the subject of Titan CAF I have a question. How
do people handle Titans armed with more than one Close combat weapon?
Are the effects of both weapons applied or does a choice have to be
made?
I'm sorry if this issue has been raised before.

Colin P
9404237p_at_...