Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 05 Mar 1997 11:21 EST

In message "[Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)", you write:

> At 07:47 PM 4/03/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Really, we would need more specifics (maybe examples) to give any really
> >good advice. This by the way (IMHO) is what the list is best at. Just
> >issue the challenge ("you can't defend Titans") and watch the people on
> >the list rise to the occasion.
> >
> >Chad
>
> O.K. then my main force are Imperial Marines, with a bit of IG stuff
> (super-heavies and artilliary), plus a Warlord Titan Battle Group.
> Generally we play 6000-7000pts. Usually I take the three Warlords as
> heavy fire support, then have Devastators in cover between the titans to
> shoot up any incoming bikes, the rest of my army is generally thrown
> forwards into the fray to capture objectives, with one infantry company
> riding in Gunships either to kill Eldar artillary, or support attacks on
> objectives.
> My main problem is that the Eldar player is getting rather good at
> hiding his jetbikes (which he takes rather a lot of) until the last moment
> when they jump out, swarm maybe two of my titans and take them out.

How many jetbikes is he taking? If he's taking more than one or maybe two
hosts, you might be within your rights to cry "cheese!". Furthermore, if he's
taking that many bikes, and is still able to keep them all in cover, then
perhaps you are using too much terrain. Try to keep your Titans in the area
of the board where his jetbikes will have the least cover.

Alternatively, fight fire with fire -- take a few I.G. bike companies to oppose
his windriders. Your bikes cost less, but will win combat with his 50% of the
time and are almost as mobile (plus they can hide in terrain like forest, which
the jetbikes can't do.)

> As my titans are equipped with long ranged weaponry, they`re not much
> good at gunning down massed assaults, thus it`s lest to Devastators to try
> to clear the jetbikes away.

How many devastators are we talking about here? If you have a whole company
surrounding your Titans and you still can't shoot down enough of the bikes
that CC your Titans to keep them alive, then he must really have a lot of
bikes. Remember that if you leave up to 3 bikes on each Titan, then the odds
of his winning a round of CC are still pretty low.

> I could keep some Scouts back to defend the titans but I`m loath to do
> this as Doomweavers and Warphunters are good against large formations, (as I
> have found out in battles past).

With his jetbikes being able to be shot in close combat, you don't have to keep
your bodyguard in the immediate vicinity of your Titans. If your devastators
aren't enough to keep the bikes off your Titans, supplement them with some
I.G. heavies or Tarantulas or something. Against most armies, however, I
would just take some cheap CC troops to use as a bodyguard.

> At the moment I end up deploying at least one of my gunships to rescue
> my titans, which always seems like a waste.
>
> Any tactics anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
> DSK
>

> P.S. I`ve no real wish to appear stupid (even though I probably do already)
> but can someone tell me what IMHO means?

In My Humble Opinion.

Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa.