Re: [Epic] Eldar & Disrupts.

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:38:59 -0500

> Given my new understanding of the number of BMs a disrupt weapon can inflict
> (see previous threads) I have been reconsidering my Tyranid and Eldar
> detachments.
>
> It is possible with the Tyranid to have an artillery swarm with an amazing 20
> Biovores. This would inflict at a range of 60cm a likely 12 BMs every time it
> fired (2BMs plus 50% hits on average at 4+ of the 20 Biovores firing). This
> is likely to suppress most activity while the genestealers run over and start
> eating. In addition it will take 11 hits (or BMs) before they lose the
> automatic 2 BMs just for firing. Pretty good, huh.

Forget the eating. On turn 1 you lay down 12 blast markers on a detachment.
Even if they get lucky and remove 5, that's 7 down from their morale.
On turn two you put those babies on overwatch and lay down an amazing
average of 17 more blast markers. Even if they get lucky and remove 5
again, that's still 19 more off of their morale (26 total, probably about
half of their total morale) and the target detachment probably got to
do absolutely nothing on turn two. On turn three the game may very well
end even if you haven't killen any of the enemy.

Keep in mind that the above assumes only average rolling for the disrupt
weapons while granting the defender superb luck. In practice the results
should prove even more devastating.

> Eldars on the other hand are quite limited by the army lists.

Not really......

> In one detachment I could cram 5 Night Spinners as support to 5 Eldar
> stands likely in three Waveserpents.

Forget the Wave Serpents. 5 Scouts will keep up nicely with the Nightspinners
quite nicley on turn one, and even end up out front to take any casualties
from incoming arty fire. If you don't expect any arty to be able to reach
your Nightspinners (which will remain on overwatch and completely behind
cover after moving in on turn one) then five cheap guardians will serve
to fill the main force slots. This serves to give you 5 Nightspinners
very cheaply. Take two or three such detachments and repeat the
scenario outlined above.

In fact, you are better off because 15 Nightspinners will lay down 3
automatic blast markers as opposed to the automatic 2 of the big
bug detachment. Keep in mind that each detachment lays down an
automatic blast marker even if completely "suppressed" by incoming
arty fire. As you are a pop-up unit, no one but arty shoule *ever*
be able to fire at you.

> H'm.
>
> Just thinking aloud. Any thoughts coming back?
>
> A#

My god, can you smell the Limburger?

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/amccarle/
Mirrored by J. Michael Looney at:
     http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/allen-mirror/default.html
Or send your own questions to: