Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 15:30:42 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Brett Hollindale wrote:

> I don't know Chad, I issued the challenge "you don't need to defend titans",
> and what I have so far is four (count 'em - 4!) replies suggesting that
> while it is a valid interpretation, "we're sure that's not what GW meant",
> one reply of "no I haven't checked the rules 'cause whether it says that or
> not I'll continue to insist that we do it MY way" and a suggestion that I
> "drop the subject for pity's sake"...
>
> Sadly, only a tiny few of us are prepared to help out folks who know less
> about the rules than we do.
>
> Agro

After reading the rules I believe the following to be relevant. Models
pin models, not bases. A model must move into contact with a model in
order to enter CC, not base to base contact. Titans are given a special
ability to attack those things that only touch there bases (wouldn't have
been mentioned if it wasn't unusual I would guess). Titans are allowed to
move into CC with other Titans and only touch bases (again, must be an
exception). Skimmers and such can also engage the Titan in CC if only
touching the base (etc).

Again and again in the rules on page 32 and 33 we see the word "model" in
no place (for the most part) does it say "base" in respect to pinning or
CC except in the special case with Titans.

The operation of pinning is when two models engage each other
in CC by touching. In your theory you have inserted base in the place of
'model' or 'troop stand'.

Units may move across the base of the Titan in order to engage it in CC,
they must touch the Titans feet in order to do so. The Titan may opt to
fight a round of close combat with models in contact with its base.

I guess the operating question for you, if you wish to push your theory
further, would be "what is the rule in TL that says it is base to base
contact?"

Chad