Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Orders

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 06 Mar 1997 10:55 EST

> >The problem is they are just making it a teeney tiny 40K in it's make-up.
> >Well it's what they wanted, but those of us that think 40K sucks, it's
> >little help. I know the game system is apparently new, but it still reeks of
> >40K to me.
>
> It reeks more of 40k than of Epic to me. Doesn't seem to bear much
> resemblance to the game that we all know and love. Net Epic is much more
> close to the current incarnation of the game, with Epic40k having nothing
> except the vaunted GW quality seal of approval. No matter what people are
> saying about Net Epic being a completely different game, and Epic40k being
> merely the next edition of the same game, I must disagree. Net Epic is
> based strongly in Epic Space Marine, deriving most of its rules from it,
> whereas Epic40k is a completely new game, as GW is so fond of pointing out.
> I hope once Net Epic is completed that discussion of it won't be banned by
> people on the list.

I have two comments here...

The reason Net Epic was asked to move off the list was because of the volume of
mail generated by contributors to the product. Once the product is finished,
it will almost certainly be welcome on the list again, providing that the amount
of mail generated because of it isn't overly large.

Secondly, we all knew that Epic40K was (and is) going to be a completely
different game from Space Marine. If you are complaining just because it's not
the same as Space Marine, all I have to say is... well, duh! Army selection
bears more resemblance to 40K than to Space Marine; so what? We already knew as
much. Titan weapons choices are different; again, so what? What counts is
whether you can have fun playing the game. There's no reason why you couldn't
play Space Marine with your old group of friends, and, after looking at Epic40K
and playing it a couple of times and deciding whether it's a fun game, find a
new group of friends who are starting to play it and join them. Or your current
group might decide both games are enjoyable. The key point here is to judge
Epic40K based on experience of whether it's a fun game, not on how well you
think it compares to Space Marine. Rules problems and abuses can always be
taken care of by choosing your gaming partners well and by using house rules.

Andy posted that you shouldn't start ranting on about Epic40K just because
it reminds you of another system which you dislike, and he's absolutely right.
Personally, I'd rather try to find things that I LIKE about a new system that
might persuade me to buy it and (hopefully) have some fun with it, rather than
try to find things I dislike about it and ruin everyone else's time.

Sorry if that came out a little harsh; if anyone was offended, I apologize.
Criticism of GW in general I don't mind as much, as they've certainly earned it,
but I've been getting the (hopefully mistaken) impression that some of you
aren't willing to give this particular new game a fighting chance just because
it's not just a "fixed up" version of Space Marine.

Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa