Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Orders

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:39:35 -0500

> From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
>
> > You wouldn't be able to give an example of builing a detachment, and/or
> > how the unit costs work to do so?
>
> No problem, since I'm an Imperial Guard player I'll do an example of that.
>
> SO I go to the Armies book and look under Imperial.
>
> We've got IG infantry, Armor, Artillery, and SHV Company... I'll start
> with Infantry.
>
> 1st I need to choose a command (HQ) The only option for IG Inf is up to 3
> command squads represented by one IG unit (stand). Each one costs 32
> points. I'll choose 2.

        Looks like they've changed the terminology. So what was once
a stand is now a unit? And what was once a unit is now a squad?

> UPgrades for the HQ include a Captain (Hero), Primaris Psyker (Psyker) and
> the option to mount the squad in a Chimera. I intend to make the det.
> mechanised so I'll upgade 1 CHimera and to add that little extra support
> I'll include 1 Psyker. Total so far: 32x2 + 14 (Chimera) + 10 (Psyker) =
> 88pts.
>
> Now to the main force. IG infantry gets up to 3 squads for each command
> squad taken so I can get up to 6 squads. More often a detachment list
> will allow you to choose up to 10 squads, but IG is a special case. The
> choices are: Regular, Heavy and Rough Rider. I'll take 2 Regular at 14
> points each squad (2 units / squad = 4 units) and 4 Hvy at 14 points each
> (1 unit / squad = 4 units). The upgrades are the same for both types:
> include a Commisar (Hero) and mount in a Chimera. I've got 8 stands so
> I'll need 4 Chimeras.
>
> Point totals for main force: 2x14 (Reg) + 4x14 (Hvy) + 4x14 (Chimeras) =
> 140 Points.
>
> Finally is the Support. You can only choose as many support as you have
> squads in the main force so I'm limited to 6. Choices are: Ratlings,
> Ogryn, Sentinel, Support Weapon, Leman Russ, Demolisher, Griffon,
> Hellhound, Hydra.

        Uhm... why the hell is the demolisher up there, seperate from
the leman russ? The titan inferno gun is now the same as a plasma cannon,
all ork battlewagons are the same thing now, all lesser daemons are the
same now, but there's a difference between a russ & its variants? what
kind of bullshit is this?

        Is the difference between the baslisk & the bombard removed?
I assume both would fall under 'support weapon' but since you didn't
list them seperately...

> Since I'm mechanised I won't take more inf. I'll take 1 Sentinel squadron
> which allows me from 1-5 Sentinels at 8 points per. I'll take 5. And for
> funsies I'll take 2 Lema Russ tanks at 32 points each, to give my chimeras
> some cover while transporting. I've only take 3 out of my 6 support slots
> but that's plenty for this detachment.
>
> Points for Support: 5x13 (Sentinels) + 2x32 (Leman Russ) = 129
>
> So let's see what we've got:
> -------------------------
> 1x IG Command
> 1x IG Command (+Psyker)
> 4x IG Regulars (2 squads)
> 4x IG Hvy (4 squads)
> 5x Chimeras
> 5x Sentinels (1 squad)
> 2x Leman Russ
>
> Points total is: 88 (Command) + 140 (Main) + 129 (Support) = 257 points.
>
> There you go.

        Thanks for the example. But... how does this actually
function on the field? From earlier comments I would guess that
this would basically form an IG company, and everything has to
stay within 30cm of the HQ. Fine. But what about squad/unit/
whatever coherency? Does the infantry have to stick together?
Do the lemans have to stay next to the sentinels? Do the sentinels
have to stay within a certain distance of each other or are they
basically independant (aside from having to stay close to the
HQ)? Same question for the Lemans.

Scott
shupes_at_...