Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Colin Partridge <9404237p_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:02:09 +0000

> ><Snip a bunch of quotes>
>
> >I'd like to re-quote a paragraph that both you and Tony used for
> >opposite arguements.
> >
> >"In order to fight against a Titan or Gargant in close combat vehicles,
> >super heavy vehicles and troop stands must move into contact with the
> >model super heavy vehicles and troop stands must move into contact with the
> >model itself, usually moving so that they touch the model's feet (or
> >equivalent)."
> >
> >Here it says that to close combat a titan you must touch the MODEL.
> >It then says that this is usually the FEET.
>
> USUALLY the feet.
>
> Why "USUALLY"?

I assumed the usually was put in to allow for Gargants. It would be
a bit silly if you had to contact the feet in order attack a gargant
in H-T-H.

> And why mention this at all if it makes no difference?

> Fact 1: You can only CC a model if you are in contact with the model.
> Fact 2: Skimmers etc can CC a titan if they are in contact with the titan's
> base.
> Fact 3: Titans can CC you if you are in contact with their base.
>
> How can this imply anything other than that the titan's base is part of "the
> model"?
>
> And what is the above quote about, if it is not about giving the titan some
> defense against "vehicles, SHV's and troop stands"?

See end for reply to this (kind of)

> >To me this seems to suggest that the BASE *can't* be part of the
> >MODEL.
> >
> >So you don't stop moving until you touch the model (Titans feet).
>

> So, you would agree to my interpretation that if the base is part of the
> "model" (the correct quote should be "enemy") non skimmers etc would be
> stopped at the base?

IF the base is part of the model then I would agree that this would
be a literal interpration of the close combat rules. BUT (see below)....

> >The case of skimmers and jump troops is an exception, in that they
> >can close combat the titan without needing to touch the model.
>

> It doesn't say that they are an exception to the CC rules, only that they
> are an exception to the "you must contact the titan's leg" rule. (ie
> nowhere does it suggest that they can CC a model without being in contact
> with the model, in fact it states the exact oposite - they must be in
> contact with the base in order to CC the titan)

O.K. Here's the Crunch:
I'm basing my arguement on Titan close combat as a whole being an Exception to
the normal rules of engagement. Hence the reason they included
paragraphs such as the one quoted above.
This being the case then it is not necessarilly valid to quote the
general H-t-H combat rules for the specific case of titans.
By this token I feel that my arguement for the Base not being part of
the Model still Holds. Since your only real objection( as I see it )
was, in regard to skimmers,
         "nowhere does it suggest that they can CC a model without being in
         contact with the model, in fact it states the exact oposite - they must be
         in contact with the base in order to CC the titan) ".
where this quote was in regard to the general close combat rules.
What I'm saying is that in the specific case of Titans, they can CC a
model withiout being in contact with the model, in this specific case
it is only neccessary for them to be in contact with the base.

I realise that this is a bit watery but thats the way I see it.
I eagerly await your comments,

Colin P