Re: The Be-all and End-all of troops (was:Re: [Epic] Re: [EPIC] Epi

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:51:52 -0600

At 08:30 PM 3/6/97 -0800, you wrote:

>> What do you think IS the be-all and end-all of the military (if such a
>> thing exists)? Just curious.
>
>Conventional Troops - Princess Patricia's Light Infantry (Canadian) UK
>Parachute Regiment would be up there too.
>Long Range Recon - Toss-up between UK SAS, Aus SAS, German D9, UK SBS,
>USN Seals and a number of others generally unknown to the public.

Seals aren't generally used for recon by my information. They are more the
"go in and take [your favorite target] out . . . and for God's sake be quiet
about it." Marine Force Recon (and yes, they cross-train with the SEALS a
lot) are more recon oriented (hence the name).

>Armour - Panzer Lehr (German) or US Army OPFOR at Nellis.
>Artillery - Dunno.
>
>and, for the true professional,
>
>Logistics - The US Army and Marine Corps.

I disagree with the Marine Corps here. From my experience, the Marine Corps
logistics only functions at all because it is a relatively small force. And
they borrow anything they can get their hands on from anyone who will let
them have it (voluntarily or involuntarily). Of course, if you listen to
Sun Tzu, then perhaps that does make them a great logistics force . . .

If you need examples, there was the time we were housed in condemned POW
barracks, the time we were shipped to Panama without any ammunition or FOOD,
the lack of functional sleeping bags from November of one year until March
of the next (that's 1.5 years, not just a single winter), the fact that we
had to use M60 barrels to the point that the ballistics were so bad the
rounds keyholed (went through the target sideways) at a distance of 10m, etc.

Temp