Re: [Epic] Games Workshop's "New Sales Plan"

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:24:57 +0000

> I would tell your retailer not to worry yet. Although GW has
> alienated almost all of the Epic players, they hope to more than make
> up for this by making the 40k players buy even more stuff. His best
> plan is to try to attract new players or 40k playters to E40k, not
> Epic players. The general opinion on rgmw has been relatively
> positive, though I have an urge to smack several posters for
> stupidity. Still, it's their money, not mine.
>
> Mark

I will use the above comment on marketing E40k to 40k players to address
this point.

Since the appearance of info on the new game many have suggested that
the changes will be due to an effort by GW to attract 40k players. If
this is true (as it seems to be) I believe GW has made another collosal
blunder. For those of you that know 40k gamers (my area is infested with
them), have you asked them if they will purchase the game? I have and
many haven't even heard of the new game let alone are interested in
purchasing it. For those who have seen it their apathy is as marked as
that of the people on this list-theres absolutely no interest in the new
game.

I have gotten in touch with friends in other geographical areas and the
trend repeats itself, epic players dont want it and neither do 40k
players. The bottom line is I have seen many 40k players ask people who
play the current game if they will buy the new one, when receiving the
rotund NO they lose interest as well.

Like I said before, irrespective of what you think about the new game,
its perception as perceived by the potential buying public is so bad as
to make it a very poor investment by regular small shops.

The future? I'm afaid if the current trend holds you could expect epic
to go out of print in the next two years because I dont think they'll
try another edition since that would not be profitable.

Peter