RE: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Andy Skinner <andy.skinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 16:20:00 EST

Paul:
>I'm sorry if I sound curt with this response, but it's been done to
death.
>There are _only_three_ similarities between 40k and E40k.
>
>1) They both take place in the same universe. This can be said of old
>Epic so it's nothing new.
>
>2) Army creation more closely resembles 40k creation, with paying for
>squads and upgrades.
>
>3) Ranges are in proportion to the 40k ranges for defined weapons.
 8"=5cm
>for all the weapons in the 40k Wargear book.
>
>THAT'S IT!!! The core rules are, in fact, less like the 40k rules than
the
>old Epic is.
Well, I think we could find a couple of things. First,
the ranges you mention are important to me, and I don't
like 'em. Also, it seems that things that are important
to 40K (they have stats for them in that game already)
have more detail (different kinds of tanks), and things
that aren't important in 40K (titans, knights) are very
simplified or gone. They used some terminology from 40K
(or so I've been told--I don't play it), but that doesn't
necessarily mean the concepts behind the terms have the
same implementation.

Also, the emphasis of the game sounds like it is closer to
the emphasis of 40K (close assaults) than was the old game.

I'm not predicting I'll hate it at this point, but what we
hear from GW does seem to say that they wanted to make it
more like 40K, or at least strengthen the connection. That
must mean something.

I think there seems to be some 40K-phobia, though. I didn't
get any answers the other day when I asked whether there was
something wrong it looking like 40K. (Besides what I've thought
of without even playing 40K. :-)

>There are no, none, nada, niente, differences gamewise between old and
new
>minis. All the old stuff is playable/compatable with no penalties. The
>only reason you need to buy new mminis is because you don't have enough
>now, or you like the look of the new ones.
But what about the psychological affect of knowing your
opponent has all the latest approved and up-to-date figures
and stands, while all we have are out-of-date GW miniatures,
Renegade Legion tanks, and a couple of Battlemechs for
scout titans. ;-)

(By the way, anybody got a plastic Marauder (I think) mech?
I kept one when I sold the rest of my Btech mechs, and wouldn't
mind having another for a pair of Eldar scout titans.)

andy
andy.skinner_at_...