Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:52:29 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Krazy Kat wrote:

> I think the reason that most of the people on the list don't like the new
> game is because it's being hyped as becoming closer to 40k. A bunch of
> people prefer epic to 40k for a lot of reasons, and bringing it closer to
> 40k is defeating the purpose. If you're going to do that, why not just
> play 40k? Imagine if you were a rugby fan. You prefer rugby over american
> football because it's rugby. It has a different flavor. Now imagine how
> you'd feel if all of a sudden all the rugby leagues changed their rules
> to make it more like american football.

I'm sorry if I sound curt with this response, but it's been done to death.
There are _only_three_ similarities between 40k and E40k.

1) They both take place in the same universe. This can be said of old
Epic so it's nothing new.

2) Army creation more closely resembles 40k creation, with paying for
squads and upgrades.

3) Ranges are in proportion to the 40k ranges for defined weapons. 8"=5cm
for all the weapons in the 40k Wargear book.

THAT'S IT!!! The core rules are, in fact, less like the 40k rules than the
old Epic is.

> That, and I think there are a bunch of people that are pissed because
> they are changing the minis. I, for one, have a pretty large collection
> of epic minis, including a scad of infantry, and now they'll be at a
> disadvantage unless I buy all new infantry.

There are no, none, nada, niente, differences gamewise between old and new
minis. All the old stuff is playable/compatable with no penalties. The
only reason you need to buy new mminis is because you don't have enough
now, or you like the look of the new ones.

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy