Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 13 Mar 1997 11:58 EST

In message "[Epic] New Game Grumbles", you write:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Spatula wrote:
>
> > Uhm... why? Your old infantry will just look different.
> > How is that a 'disadvantage'?
> >
> Not only will they look different, but because the base is twice as long
> (and half as wide), you can place your troops so that they remain in
> formation, but less troops can be hit by blast markers. This puts the old
> bases at a disadvantage because more of the troops could be hit.

Since Paul Tobia has told us that your troops only have to be within 30 cm of
the command unit(s), I fail to see why you can't put bases of either type as
far apart as you could reasonably want to. There is no 6cm rule in Epic40k.
Furthermore, each detachment can form a front of a maximum of 60cm (for the
purposes of screening other units,) regardless of its compostion. Therefore,
your argument about base size holds no water -- what's a few millimeters either
way when we're talking base spread/coverage measured in the tens of centimeters?
In fact, the old bases are at a (slight) advantage in that they can form a more
compact formation (since weapon ranges are so short, and if you aren't worried
about arty.)

Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa.