Re: [Epic] scenery

From: S. Birol Akmeric <nethol_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:14:33 +0200

> From: Andy Skinner <andy.skinner_at_...>
> Hi. What sorts of scenery most suited to the Epic scale
> have you guys used? What did you really like?
Well, just about everything. I usually make them myself using various
materials. Your ideas about pipes and railroad parts are ok, actually
you can use a lot of those RR scenery stuff. And yes, check Geo-hex web
site (geo-hex terrain, 1/300 buildings, many more). Here are some more
examples:
1. I have this wooden ashtray, the type they make by cutting a slice
out of a thick branch, that have bark around the circumference. I glued
some "grass" flock (bought from a railroad thingies rack) on the
underside of it, and some small pebbles, and putting it upside down, it
makes a nice hill.
2. Some packed appliences (like soundblaster KTX speakers) have some
protective cardboard piece around them, very much like the egg
cartons. Spray them solid brown, add some little green around the lower
edges, drybrush a little with a dirty white, and glue some grass on the
top, you have another hill.
3. Look for those cheap souvenir house, church etc models, in the small
towns you visit, salvage any old toy buildings and broken toys, any
unused parts of old models. Spray them with black, drybrush with grey,
then with white (takes 3 mins), you have now pretty gothic looking
cottages.
4. Glue ordinary pebbles on a piece of green and brown painted
cardboard to make broken ground, ruins or hills.
5. Craters: Cut circular pieces of cardboard. On them draw rough
circles with modeling putty applied liberally. Wait them dry. Spray or
paint them light brown. Use a large brush dipped in very dilluted black
paint or black ink to go over the holes and creases, dry them again,
drybrush the prominent edges with ochre and dirty white.
6. Use lengths cut from frames of old sprues to build structures like
unfinished steel- construction buildings (make rectangular prisms out
of them, use polystyrene cement). Glue some pieces of cardboard for
floors, paint as in 3.
7. Make small rectangular holes on a foam coffee cup, make creases with
an all purpose adhesive like uhu (melts foam). Put it upside down, use
pieces of sprue frames to make a railing at the top, paint as in 3.
S. Birol Akmeric
nethol_at_...