Re: [Epic] Titans and Eldar (was: Titans and CC)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:51:46 GMT

At 09:53 AM 18/3/97 EST, you wrote:
>> I hadn't forgotten this either. Like you, I assumed a force with at least
>> two wind host (pretty standard fair in my experience), and a healthy mix
>> of other units. The windriders will be able to either stop the assault
>> force, *or* attack the titans (in one turn). If they split, they will
>> most like do neither. Remember that the devestators and tacticals (2 dets)
>> whould be deployed with LOS to some or all the titans. This is sufficient
>> firepower to destroy about 3 detatchemnts of bikes, unless the second
>> windhost goes into CC witht he tacs and devs to pull their fire. Thus,
>> I think realistyically it will require most of both the windhosts, leaving
>> only 2 or three detatchemns of bikes to deal with the assault force.
>> Also, I have never met a player, eldar or otherwise, with the intestinal
>> fortitude to ignore such a large assault force, even when it was (IMO)
>> the better choice.
>
>I don't know; were I to face that force, I would certainly go after the Titans
>first, and probably the devastators next. That's where all the VP are, after
>all, and in the first 2 turns of the game your assault force can't cause any
>significant damage since they are too busy charging across the board. If I
were
>to destroy all three of your Titans and break the devastators, I would get 37
>VP, plus 15 for the 3 objectives you're ignoring makes 52, and I only need 55
>to win in a 6000 point game. All I need is to break a couple more support units
>or one company, or else (if I win initiative) snatch one or two of the 5
>objectives you're guarding, and I win on turn two.

I think I would be tempted to ignore the titans. Deployed on the back line,
they will fire their multiple barrage weapons on turn one and practically
nothing you can do will stop them. (It would take some pretty amazing luck
with doomweavers or some pretty exposed warlocks.) After turn one, (and the
barrage missiles) I'm not sure that titans on the back line are much of a
threat...

I would say that your easy victory points come from the assault troops and
scouts. A bunch of falcons FF'ing from behind cover at the deployment line
are quite safe from retaliation (very few [Imperial] commanders have weapons
ranged greater than 25cm) and will inflict quite awesome casualties. If the
Eldar actually win initiative on either turn 2 or 3 then you can expect the
charge of the assault troops to be halted by a couple of detatchments of jet
bikes pinning one stand of each detachment...

I would be pretty sure that five infantry companies will have a hard time
standing up to the firepower of the entire eldar army (for example, I would
expect at least one company worth of rhinos - and troops - to evapourate in
the snapfire phase...) After that, the Firestorms are popping the troops
closest to the objectives as they attempt to close and I wouldn't be
surprised if the aspects took the objectives unopposed...

Agro