[Epic] Re: Epic 40k sprue contents

From: Christian Taylor <kristian_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:38:55 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Richard Dewsbery wrote:

> Richard wrote:
> > One stand of termies, one of characters, 1 of scouts, 4 assault stands,
> > etc etc

[Pro-GW propaganda/misinformation deleted]
[Lest total chaos take grip of the list, forcing the Inquisition to
invoke exterminatus, and fiery cleansing upon us all]

> Wrong. In every respect except the pricing comments. Who is this
> idiot?

Wow, I never realized that making an incorrect guess made someone an
idiot... That should have been the subject of my Valedictorian speech a
couple of years ago.

sigh...

> I have the _real_ info to hand, thanks to GWUK mail order.

All praise GWUK mail order, bow down to them.

> sprues are �5 each

> Marine Inf Sprue
> 3 tactical squads (6 bases of 5)
> 1 devcastator squad (2 bases)
> 1 assault squad (2 bases)
> 1 Terminator squad (1 base)
> 1 scout squad (1 base)
> 4 bikes

Given the new scheme, wouldn't three be more appropriate?

> 6 character figures

[Again, deletia regarding "rumor" from GWUK mail order regarding contents
of Epic sprues]

> Either the sprues are overpriced (yes), the box is a bargain (no) or
> everything is overpriced and we're all mugs who are prepared to
> willingly shel out every time GW wants some more of our cash (of
> course).

To be honest, 90% of the Epic stuff I've bought has averaged 35-40% off of
GW's SRP, some much lower -- you've just got to look around a bit.

Granted, I am buying Epic40k through GWUS mailorder, full price. It's a
shame I'll have to live with (to make sure I get it in my hands asap.)

> Richard
> Some other one, with the facts.
> No relation to the first idiot.
> Honest.

My conjecture regarding what was going to be in the small epic boxes was
just that: conjecture. Folks have been guessing about this stuff for
months, and given what I had read on the list, at that point, it seemed
accurate.

I was wrong.

I suppose I just couldn't understand why they'd want to sell you half a
Space Marine Battle Company in a box, rather than a complete one...
Particularly after going on and on about how the new sprues were going to
be complete units (I know, with the new cardless list, it doesn't matter
-- but it's still half a company.)

Instead of some 140 figs for $10US (hopelessly optimistic, I know), we get
70 figs for $10US. (or 5 Pounds UK, a better deal)

I vaguely remember the old 10-sprue box for $20 having 350 figs...

Gee, suppose GW needs the money ;)

Christian "First & Last Idiot" Taylor
kristian_at_...