Re: [Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:16:24 -0500 (EST)

duckrvr_at_... writes:
> At 09:15 AM 3/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >duckrvr_at_... wrote:
> >> Incidentally, what do you have against the spirit host? Is it the "kill the
> >> warlock/break the company" thing?
> >
> >I've always felt the 10cm move of the enitre spirit host always put
> >it in an awkward position in relation to the rest of the Eldar
> >army.

        Wow. Am I playing the Eldar wrong, or does everyone move
their entire army up 25cm, 35cm, or 70cm on the first turn?

> Yeah, but . . . first turn you know the warlock can give them whatever
> orders you want. Put the dreadnoughts on charge, with some war walkers on
> advance. turn 1 they keep up, turn 2, they go on ff with the warwalkers
> (who did get to fire), and voila! you have 11 stands with 75cm range and
> give up a combined 2 VPs.

        My philosophy is "screw it". Someone needs to stand back and
defend a rear objective, and I like having *something* on FF every
turn. I shove the Warlock behind them and throw up Eldritch Storms in
front of large weaponry like the Colossus or Overlord. (The
Overlords, at the very least, tend to move forward) Sometimes I
advance them the first turn to get them into better position.

        I throw the wraithguard in Wave Serpents. I'm not entirely
sure what happens here. Do I need actual infantry standing next to
the Wraithguard, or are the Wave Serpent pilots enough to tell them to
charge each turn? At +4CAF and 0VP, they make for good CC. If they
find someplace they want to stay, I can always put the Serpents on FF.

> Throw the wraithguard in a falcon (Questionable, I know, but I've
> never played anyone who was totally adamant about it.)

        Actually, it seems perfectly legal to me. They're infantry
sized.

> I've never understood everyone's distaste for troops who go on autopilot.
> You just have to plan ahead a little is all.

        Because the Avatar always charges on top of a hill and gets
shot off of it. (I have to be more careful, and remind people about
the -1 to hit)

Mark