Re: [Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:16:59 -0600

At 09:38 PM 3/20/97 +0000, you wrote:

>>Really? I think the powers are neat. It gives different crews diifferent
>>specialties, and harkens back to the special abilities available in AT.
>

>Oh, I like the abilities all right, but I like to earn them for the titan
>rather than buy them. (This is not a problem - other than keeping the titan
>alive - in my regular gaming group, but you really need a bunch of opponents
>who you play with in a campaign like setting.)

Well, yeah. Except that I've never played in a full blown league/campaign.
Besides, the people I play with always seem to persecute titans, so the
chances of them surviving multiple combats is pretty slim. About the only
way I would think you would have a chance of actually getting to the award
level of experience is using titan objectives, which most people agree suck.

>>Incidentally, what do you have against the spirit host? Is it the "kill the
>>warlock/break the company" thing?
>
>That's really only a problem against tyranids, but there's also the fact
>that the Dreadnaughts plus Wraithgaurd plus Warlock without Falcon really
>aren't worth 500 pts, and finally (and most significantly) Wraithgaurd are
>both cheaper and better than Dreadnaughts and it would be more effective to
>spend the points on say three Wraithgaurd and two Dire Avengers (to assist
>in giving the WG orders).

I disagree. 2 dreadnoughts _at_150 + 1 wraithguard @100 + 1 warlock @100 = 500
pts. You lose the falcon (50 points + command status . . . can we say 75
pts?), but you gain a special card slot, and you gain that "destroy every
model and still don't get the VP" thing. I think it's about even.

As far as the wraithguard with the DAs, why? The big advantage to the
wraithguard is close assault, IMHO. They are +4 and they never fail morale.
In addition, you have to kill them to a man to get points (if a detachment)
and sometimes not even then (if a spirit host). Put 'em with harlequins and
send them after chaos.

>>I belive that would be the closest _vehicle_, but anyway, only an idiot
>>would leave them loaded in such a case.
>
>Really? (I agree on the closest vehicle point, I am surprised by the tactic
>of unloading the falcon.) In my experience, Warlock's almost never leave
>the air cionditioned comfort of their command vehicle. I guess it might
>help, but it would cut down the available movement on turn one and that
>might be a real problem with titans on the back line...

Well, first, I started off playing that you couldn't use psychic powers
without unloading, so I'm used to it. Second, I wouldn't actually unload
them unless staying in the falcon made them a possible target, e.g."the
closest vehicle." Third, unloading them loses very little movement. They
are just one stand, and a commander at that, so you don't need to save a lot
of movement in order to get them spread out like you would a full
detachment. You could move 45cm in the falcon and still have enough
movement to get them 2 cm from the tank.

>>Six pulsars concentrated on 2 titans will probably destroy them, possibly
>>spectacularly. That averages 4 hits. Definitely kill one, and a good shot
>>at the second. And if the laswings can reach, that ices it.
>
>Yep, maybe I didn't make it clear, but if the Imps don't kill the Phantoms
>before the Phantoms fire, I don't think much of the chance that an Imp titan
>will be left in round 2...

You mean Warlords, right? Why do I get this strange feeling of being in a
reality warp? Three imperators . . . no, thank you.

>>I would normally agree, but I'm having trouble imaginning what 5 medics
>>could do. Otherwise, I'd say "Bring the noise, white boy!"
>
>Five Medics are like Chaos, but not as good. Although if he gets
>overlapping fields of influence, you can make a bunch of medics
>invulnerable... (Six medics standing together get 5 chances to save on 5+,
>pretty good odds that you will live forever...)
>
>Agro

And even if they don't overlap each other, the chances of them overlapping
on several of the stands is very good.

Temp