[Epic] My new Epic40K :p

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 12:14:07 +0800

Sorry, could not resist this.
I just got my mailorder from GW two days ago and are going thru the epic40k.

Several observations, in absolutely no priority in importance or coherence.

1. Falcon looks stonking good ! With multiple weapon mount.

2. Warp Serpent looks stonking ugly - the prow of the Serpent looks
like the headgear of the Mimbari (of Babylon 5).

3. Manuals are small - kinda irritating holding it, after being
familiar with their other regular sized books.

4. Lottas drawings and pictures - depicting mass combat. This really
set the mood. Ny favorite is the Eldar in jetbikes assaulting a Chaos
(Khorne's ?) citadel. Awesome. Too bad the picture is kinda small and in b&w
- I would love an A4 size of that.

5. Thunderhawks do look good, but cost 7 pounds.

6. The new Hive Tyrants looks absolutely stupid. Much smaller than the
MK1 version. I sure am glad I had 5 of the previous one.

7. Dominatrix are pretty much the same, but the new darker/ grittier
colour scheme make it look more fearsome.

8. Warlord still looks ugly, though not that absolutely ugly.

9. Great Gargant looks ugly, the old one looks better and has much more
lead :)

10. Jervis Johnson lost yet another battle report to Andy Chambers. In a
replay in which he replayed the scenario on the opposite side (but took a
slightly different force) he defeated Andy Chambers. I am not sure if this
can be consider as an official battle report victory though. So does this
mean Jervis has yet to win a battle report game against Andy since WD 130+ ?

11. Our beloved Gavin Thorpe helped Andy Chambers do up the Armies Book
(whereas the rulebook was an AC&JJ effort).

12. Dark Eldar's existence is hinted at (p.60 of Armies Book, "Many
Webway portals on Ulthwe are sealed by powerful runes and curses, for they
lead to the Crone Worlds where the Eldar's dark brethen now worship the
Chaos gods..."

13. No ripper tentacles for Hiorodule, only for Hierophant. No big loss,
as the ripper tenctacles only disable one war engine's close assault weapon.
However the Razor Claw will double its Assault Value against war engines
(pretty awesome - considering that assault value of Hierodule is 25 and 30
for Hierophant).

14. It seems that most of SM detachments would require a Captain to lead
them. Kinda funny, in the Battle report in the most recent WD, for a
detachment of 4 Landraiders, a detachment of 2 devastor squads (20 SM = 4
stands), a detachment of 3 tactical squads (6 stands) each require a command
squad led by Captain !! So in all there were 3 captains running about. While
it is possible for a detachment to have 10 squads (100 troopers) I think it
is very unlikely for a player to choose such a large detachment).

While GW did not emphasise the lieutenants (Hero) at all in 40k, I thought
it would be a good time to do so in Epic40k. Too bad they didn't. After all
3 Landraiders hardly warrant the attention of a captain. BTW, IIRC
LandRaiders can only carry 1 stand, not two termie stands.

15. Vortex missiles are 'ead hard. A barrage missile template - every
unit under the template experience d6 Deth Ray hits ! And on carapace only....

16. Lotta tables for reference, a lot more info to keep track than Epic.

17. John Blanche's art is fabulous. It took some getting use to
initially, but most of my friends who do not even play any GW says it is
pretty impressive - the chaotic battlefield, the epic scale, the madness of
the 40k universe is very well represented here.

Regards
Oki