Re: [Epic] Tempests - tanks, or just good anchors?

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 15:20:35 -0600

At 12:44 PM 4/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>I know you aren't taking IG rocket companies (they suck),

>What?! Rocket companies are made to kill windrider hosts. Admitily the
>whrilwinds don't do much, but the my Manticores will usually kill 4 or 5
>bike stands on the odd numbered turns. And I usually put the Whirlwinds
>out where they have an LOS on things so they can evan pick things off every
>now and then. And if you tell me that your Vipers are going to be able to
>CC my stuff on turn two, I'd like to point out that since they are skimmers
>they arn't pinned in CC therfore can be shot. My HQs and the Heavy Co.
>will turn them into a fuzzy, wuzzy memory.

3 barrages w/ 6 BP hit on 4+. 2 stands/template on average (taking scatter
into account - 3 without scatter if your opponent has bad placement) means 3
hits on average. Throw the whirlwinds in (If they are on advance, they can
almost always guarantee a target) and you get 2 more. In the first 2 turns
that's 7 hits total. I would hardly call that decimating your opponent's
wind host. It also assumes that nothing is damaging your company. Compared
to a reg arty company you get 4 barrages on a 4+ (compared to 3) and one
barrage on a 2+ (compared to 2 on a 4+). In two turns that comes out to
around 9 hits (assuming a slightly higher miss percent since the Whirlwinds
will usually have los), all of which have at least a -2 save mod. The
Manticores have the ability to definitely tag a single target by combining
barrages, but give me the regular company any day. BTW, I'm figuring that
casualties will affect both roughly equally.

Even with a 3 turn game, which maximizes the Manticores, it's still 12 hits
for the rocket company to 13 or 14 for the arty boys (and they have the save
mods).

Temp