Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics vs. Tyranids

From: The Ogre <the.ogre_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:26:56 -0800

Michael the Liu wrote:

> >> Most definately. Still though, I heartily recommend it to anyone sticking
> >> with the current version of Epic, as this current Eldar suck if they lose
> >> initiative, rule if they win stuff just doesn't cut it.
>
> > So instead you'd have them rule all the time? Personally I
> >favor alternating movement, but for the eldar that means they pretty
> >much never have to worry about being pinned, regardless of initiative.
>
> Nah, this way, you get elements of both sides in movement, as no matter who
> wins initiative there's a chance both to skit away and to be pinned. It's
> a matter of trying to maneuveur your opponent into moving before you.

> >> Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I looked at the Tyranid army
> >> list. However, after seeing them off of paper, the only units I'm really
> >> impressed by are the Dom and Carnies.
>
> > You've obviously never had multiple Trygons rampaging through
> >your hordes from behind. Oh, wait, Eldar don't get hordes... well,
> >let me tell you, as a chaos player it just plain sucks. One Trygon
> >dropped via spores can easily break multiple units in one turn. =(
>
> Yeah, but my group plays you can't drop single units in drop pods (though
> I've personally changed my view lately) since there aren't rules for it and
> we don't use the Q&As.

> >> Yeah, though now that he uses warp fields continuously, there's no real
> >> need.
>
> > No need? Well, the point would be that he wouldn't HAVE
> >to use the field if he had enough screeners to protect the Dom,
> >and that can't be bad, right?
>
> Well that depends, do you want to pay hundreds of points for a warp pulse
> or is a warp field good enough for you? To get good coverage on a
> Dominatrix through screening, you have to almost include as many points of
> screeners as the Dom costs! Or you could use the units elsewhere where
> they'll be more useful just by putting up a warp field. Personally, if I
> played Tyranids I think the only thing I would ever screen a Dom with would
> be another swarm's Dom with a warp
> field up.
>
> [snip, stuff about my strategy of blowing legs off of Tyranid Titans]
>
> > And again, if you're crippling the titans, then you're not
> >targeting the Doms.
>
> Yeah, but those Doms have warp fields up usually, so I'm not killing them
> anytime soon. If the warpfields aren't up...well, I'd rather shoot the Dom
> than kill a couple of Titans anyways. Sure, those Titans will hurt, but
> not as much as it'll hurt a Tyranid player to take an entire swarm out of
> chain of command.
>
> > The bugs can be surprisingly shooty. But they have to
> >concentrate on it, they can't do it half-assed if it's going to
> >be effective.
>
> Hmmm...never seen this before. There guns on their Titans just don't seem
> to be cost effective (though I'm jaded since my group doesn't think any
> Titan weapon combo is cheesy. Every Eldar Titan has a mix of psylance,
> [...]

Yes yes yes......... I know there may be alot of the above to this that
I have not chopped, but in my opinion (not hunmble) anyone going for the
Dom's has got it all WRONG!!!
Dont bother - Remeber - A little pesky card called Regenerate, whilst
you are trying to take out his big Dom, with lots o' wounds, he is
sniggering whilst is Genestealers and alsorts run through the
undergrowth largely ignored, so are relativly untouched when they jump
you and jump _on_ everything in sight and rip it into bit of Adamantium,
or wraithbone, or vests that are supposed to be flak armour!!
The way to beat a Tyranid army is go on the offensive, and get his
broods! That way you can get your VP's from killing the whole brood,
capturing your objectives, whilst only having a few units rather
interesting destroyed by the odd Tyrant or Dom.....

And this comes from a player who plays and plays against Tyranids...
I have had my army blown out from under me having my broods taken out...
Usually I keep my Dom cowering down the back, as it WILL die if it got
engaged in CC....

As to what it is like for E40K, well, there are a hell of alot less of
them, they cost more, and you can have only one per 2K of your army,
they have now some bloody decent fire power , being in possesion of both
AT and DR shots (Thats Anti Tank, and Death Ray), and also a Heavy
Barrage.... And also a rather nifty ability or two. But it no longer
has its psychic spells to throw... Although still a psyker..
And now it is even more suicidal for anyone to try and touch a dom, as
if you can touch _it_ it sure as hell is gonna touch you back with some
serious hurt (ref the above firepower!)

Zoanthropes are another which can not any longer shoot, which I again
think is wrong as in 40K, they are nigh on walking Multi Melta's at
times! Never mind, moan moan moan.... It still changes nowt, as the
rules are out!
LOL

Laterz