Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics

From: Renaud Delhaye <rde_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:14:13 +0200

Peter Andersson II wrote:

>For the record, your friends are not the only ones who find chaos
>among the weakest armies. I'm a chaos general and I have found that
>it's really a challenge not to be anihilated before you've managed
>to kill a single enemy. Mostly because your enemy is content to
>take a maximally shooty force and just pound you as you walk, at a
>snails pace, across the table.
>This is especially true when playing vs. eldar, IG/SM and squats.

You're absolutely right and it really seems that the only solution is a
weird army composition (mostly Chaos Marines in THawks or 50% IG) . At
least, that's what I understood from this thread. I'll transmit your
sympathy to our Chaos players.

>There are other problems like: you have to take GD:s that cost a
>bunch and basically do nothing. LoB & Plaguetower excluded.
>If you try to use GD:s there are usually a GD-killer unit just
>waiting for them. Either drawing all your chaos cards, like twin
>pulsars tend to do, or psychic attacks that slays them outright.

This is so true... I can remember Chaos generals hiding their GD in woods
for the entire game when playing against Eldars and, looking at me with mad
eyes: "can you imagine this? These clowns are worth 400 pts each !"

>I've not seen the new rules yet (should be arriving next friday)
>so I don't know if the chaos army is an improved prospect.
>I'm not saying you can't win with chaos, BUT you have to really
>think hard about your troop choices and tactics. On the other
>hand while playing squats, at least vs. chaos, you can grab just
>about any shooty stuff put them on the table on FF and just fire
>away until the opponent is dead.
>
>Heh, I bet I've upset a few squat players by that comment, and just
>to stave off some flames: I know it's an oversimplifacation. But
>our resident squat player do agree with me to some extent.

I would, too.

>I've tried playing with IG allies and it really worked miracles for
>my army. My opponent was totally shocked when I actually fired back
>in the first turn. Heh.

Well... I'm just hearing the words of the Chaos players in my group. What
is the size of your battles?

>However I find it sad that an army can't stand on it's own, and
>usually don't take any IG allies.

So do I.

>Oh, and titans is not the solution, never take titans in a chaos
>force since your opponent will get more titans for the same amount
>of points. Warhounds excluded. And the banelord is crap!

The weakest Titan of its class, for sure.

>Silvertowers are crap (because they give your opponent alot of vps
>real easy).

Yep. Squadrons of three would make them better (Break point 2).

>PS. As I said I've not seen the new rules and they may invalidate
> anything I've said. .DS

I don't think I'll play the new rules. We'll buy the box, giving money to
GW :-(, just to have a look at the new system. But I'm pretty sure that the
simple fact that there is now so few weapons differenciation will be
sufficient to dismiss it. However, from what I've read in other posts, some
novelties sound interesting and could justify "intensive house ruling" on
the EPIC system. Not to mention new units...

Renaud