[Epic] Chaos gripes (was: Eldar tactics)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:05:19 -0600

At 01:36 PM 4/4/97 +0200, you wrote:

>Mostly because your enemy is content to
>take a maximally shooty force and just pound you as you walk, at a
>snails pace, across the table.

Take fast units. Load troops in rhinos and thawks. Don't get stuck with
the "200 minotaurs and trolls stomping across the board" mentality.

> GD:s that cost a
>bunch and basically do nothing. LoB & Plaguetower excluded.
>If you try to use GD:s there are usually a GD-killer unit just
>waiting for them. Either drawing all your chaos cards, like twin
>pulsars tend to do, or psychic attacks that slays them outright.

GDs do a great deal. They can hold an objective like nothing else, and they
give you the most important thing - CARDS. Lord of Change can move 30 cm
and fire 25. That's decent range on turn one. Target troops with low
saves, and the chaos spawn will pin them. This is especially effective if
you can hit a troop stand close enough to an objective that your spawn will
cover it. Next turn, the demon can be 60 cm from your starting line.
Keeper of Secrets is good. He can hit 45 cm from the starting line on turn
1, fires a template, doesn't need line of sight (keep him in woods), and
your opponent gets no armor save. Move him towards a Colossus or Leviathan.
Late in the game they are too slow to get away, and with a 1 in 4 (4+ to
hit, 4+ to penetrate shields) it is worth the effort. Angron vs anyone with
a low morale can make a big difference on turns 2 and 3. If you can get any
of them in cc with a titan or shv (Lord of Change is the best bet), then a
horrible stench card or a growth will cause them to win cc. Personally, i
think the LoB is not as effective as a Reaver titan, and although I've never
played with one, the Plague Tower seems too slow to do much, and will just
aggravate the problems you have complained about. Oh, yeah, Mortarion can
absolutely hammer troops without saves. You can also extend his range if
you are willing to kill a model or two of your own so you can "jump" the
plague wind (you are chaos, after all).

>Heh, I bet I've upset a few squat players by that comment,

They deserve it. Squats are a fire and forget army. Just line'em up and
shoot. No finesse.

> And the banelord is crap!

Yep

>Silvertowers are crap (because they give your opponent alot of vps
>real easy).

Yep

Neal