Re: [Epic] Chaos gripes (was: Eldar tactics)

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:26:59 -0500

> From: duckrvr_at_...
>
> GDs do a great deal. They can hold an objective like nothing else, and they
> give you the most important thing - CARDS. Lord of Change can move 30 cm
> and fire 25. That's decent range on turn one. Target troops with low
> saves, and the chaos spawn will pin them. This is especially effective if
> you can hit a troop stand close enough to an objective that your spawn will
> cover it. Next turn, the demon can be 60 cm from your starting line.
> Keeper of Secrets is good. He can hit 45 cm from the starting line on turn
> 1, fires a template, doesn't need line of sight (keep him in woods), and
> your opponent gets no armor save. Move him towards a Colossus or Leviathan.
> Late in the game they are too slow to get away, and with a 1 in 4 (4+ to
> hit, 4+ to penetrate shields) it is worth the effort.

        Assuming you opponent is foolish enough to leave them within
25cm of terrain the keeper can hide in (pretty much guarunteed not to
happen again after the 1st time you manage to pull this off =). This
tactic really depends on how much terrain there is in certain areas
of the board.

> Angron vs anyone with
> a low morale can make a big difference on turns 2 and 3. If you can get any
> of them in cc with a titan or shv (Lord of Change is the best bet), then a
> horrible stench card or a growth will cause them to win cc.

        The LoC is the best bet (moves 30cm instead of 20 or 10) but
the problem is he's a skimmer - sure, the titan you're charging can't
shoot at you, but everyone else can. Opportunities where this sort
of thing will work (isolated titans/SHVs away from other sources of
fire support) are fairly rare in my experience.

> Personally, i
> think the LoB is not as effective as a Reaver titan, and although I've never
> played with one, the Plague Tower seems too slow to do much, and will just
> aggravate the problems you have complained about.

        Shooting-wise the Plague Tower isn't going to help you a whole
lot, but it's great for getting Beasts and Plague Bearers (and Mortarion)
to the enemy a turn faster than usual.

> Oh, yeah, Mortarion can
> absolutely hammer troops without saves. You can also extend his range if
> you are willing to kill a model or two of your own so you can "jump" the
> plague wind (you are chaos, after all).

        ehhh... that's kinda cheesy in my mind. Plague Wind is
powerful enough as it is.

Scott
shupes_at_...