Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:03:24 -0600

At 12:17 PM 4/4/97 +0200, you wrote:

>>is so crowded that no one can hide, and everyone has targets.
>
>Inflicting casualties: you're right. Crowded board: not really on a 10 feet
>table. Rather, it tends to create several battlegrounds. Maneuvering
>remains important, but some armies are better than others, then. More on
>that below, as you're talking about that later in your post.

To me a 6,000 pt game on an 8 foot table is crowded. So even if you add
bigger units (high point values, that is) a 10-15k game is gonna be quite
crowded. Note that I defined "crowded" as the fact that terrain to hide in
is scarce, and the large majority of people can find a target (so no wasted
shots).

>Assuming the Overlord is the only model able to fire at the infantry. Rare
>occurence, really: it would mean that the squat is just flying his Overlord
>toward his opponent, without support.

I didn't mean to imply this. With the cheaper units you can throw 2 or
three out there for the same points. So call it 2 Tacs dets (400 pts) vs. 1
Temp det. (500 pts). You can soak a lot of casualties and still come out
even. Of course, we are still dealing with different types of situations . . .

>Simply the rules: 1-3 random pieces for 60*60 cm squares. I proposed adding
>terrain or reducing squares size to help Chaos and the like, but the result
>was far from convincing: as they can indeed hide more easily during
>advance, I have more places to hide my own troops and what they call my
>"damned pop-up rubbish" (not sure about the translation - in French:
>"foutue saloperie de pop-up").

I've found that an average of about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 terrain pices per square
makes for better combat, as opposed to the 2 that you get from the book system.

Temp