Re: [Epic] epic 40k detachment costs

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 19:06:02 +0100

Paul Tobia wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Joseph Looney wrote:
>
> > No, you are incorrect, at least in the case of Space Marines. Look at
> > the example Space Marine force on Page 40 of the Armies book. "Captain
> > Lazarus in Rhino (Detachment HQ + 25 Pts)" 57 Pts.
> >
> > You _DO_ need to pay the 25 points for the HQ even if you do buy a
> > character to be the unit leader.
> >
> > Of course having said that, Ork's don't have the +25 points, and the
> > example for Eldar seems to show your point of view. And the math on the
> > Chaos example is wrong, any way you do it. A chaos Lord in a Rhino
> > would be 32 points, or 57 points if you include the +25 points for being
> > a commander, I can't seem to get 52 points out of it.

WRT chaos, the maths in the example appears to be a typo.

WRT marines, I stand by what I said in my original post, and agree with
Joseph.

I also agree with Temp (oh no, not AGAIN). There appears to be an
inconsistency in the way the lists have been written out. Either you do
have to pay the +25 for each detachment, in which case the SM list and
chaos list are both correct and the Eldar detachment commanders are
overpriced, or someone "added in" the 25pts already for the eldar and
ork detachment commanders and didn't make it clear that the +25 was an
alternative, but forgot to do this with the SM commanders.

The Ork and tyranid lists appear OK.

IMNSHO, the space marines have to pay the +25pts for the detachment EVEN
IF they choose a captain in command, but there is no such +25 for the
orks or eldar. The rules are not particularly clear because of the two
different approaches, but if you compare the SM, eldar and particularly
the chaos example detachments, this is clearly how it is meant to work.
The example detachments in WD208 agree with my interpretation, that if
you buy a captain at 25pts, you must still pay the +25 for the
detachment (for a cost of 50 - equivalent to the IG commanders or the
ork warbosses). And without a captain, you designate 1 unit as HQ and
pay +25 pts.

> This could get ugly.

Only if you really want it to :-)

> Then if the +25 is a general requirement for a
> detachment not an upgrade, and all the lists state you must have a
> commander, then do all Eldar Warhosts _have_ to take a Farseer??!?

No. But it appears that the +25 has already been figured in to the cost
of a farseer, shadow seer or great harlequin.

> Do all
> SM Inf. _have_ to take a Captain or Librarian??!?

No, just pay the +25 pts and nominate a normal stand of troops as HQ for
the detachment.

> If in fact you do have
> to pay the extra +25 even if you take a commander unit, then they are
> waaaaay overpriced.

25+25 for a captain as compared to 40 for a warboss, 32 for an IG
command unit, or 50 for a farseer seems to me as if they are all
perfectly consistent. Yes, the SM captain IS more than the ork. Man
for man, he's a better stand of troops with a better FP, Ass, armour and
skills.

> I didn't pay any attention to the examples,

I'm saying nothing :-)

> and from
> the inconsistancies in them I don't think anyone should. :)

What inconsistencies? I see no real problems with the examples, it's
the way the lists were written that could have been done better. But
I'm happy I have it all correct.
(Apart, of course, from the typo in the chaos example. Could it be that
the hand of Tzeentch intervened?)

Richard