Re: [Epic][E40k]Flyers

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:58:52 -0400 (EDT)

Tristrim Peter Murnane <tmurnane_at_...> writes:
> Doh, i thought you COULD intercept interptors who are intercepting the
> bombers! From reading the FAQ thing at the back of thr book, that seemed
> to suggest it. And why not? I means you pay for more command flyers, and
> in therefore in the long run get less, but you get greater tactical
> flexibility, and less chance of having 10 figters stuck doing nothing
> because the only HQ unit they had was reparing!

        You can, but since the Nightwings have higher initiative (and
are on intercept orders), they still shoot first. Not only that,
intercepting interceptors seems to turn the flying battle into one
larger battle.

        Also, I have 2 more questions/comments:

1) The example in the battles book *does* mention alternating fire.
It's not so bad, it just means that a Nightwing is always going to
shoot first, and then alternates from there. Not such a great
advantage.

2) Flyers suffer from the Land Raider anti-tank problem. It appears
that there is no restriction on choosing targets in a dogfight.
Sounds real bad for those larger detachments with a repairing HQ.
Also, there is no way to screen your more valuable flyers with
interceptors. (i.e., my escort force of 20 Nightwings does nothing to
prevent the opponent from shooting the Vampire transport first, or the
HQ)

        Could someone confirm these? #1 helps keep the Nightwings
from being kings of the sky, and #2 hoses several strategies.

Mark