Re: [Epic] Things I miss in E40K

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:25:28 -0500

>At 03:21 AM 4/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I'm glad to see that someone agrees with me. Until I see
>>otherwise, most of my so called "tactics" are going to be: Get more of
>>my troops into CC, firefights, and piddly 30-45cm firefights with less
>>of his troops. Which, admittedly, are the rudimentary basics of
>>tactics, but the execution of this is *very* straightforward.
>
>As are all good tactics.
>
>> But it still irritates me
>>that the majority of tactics involve getting into CC, making sure that
>>you have a few random stands deeper so he can't run away, and then
>>rolling that real important d6.
>
>Has anyone tried a beaucoup-artillery/suppress-the-hell-out-of-your-opponent
>army yet? I''m looking at, say, a det of about 4 doomweavers, and a bunch
>of falcons and war walkers and thinking that I can stop anyone coming across
>the boards after 1 turn. The doomweavers will put 2 BMs on a det, and a
>decent long range det should be able to put another 2. By the beginning of
>2nd turn movement (when the prep-bombardment happens) the doomweavers add
>another 2. Yes, they get to remove some markers in there, but they will
>have to roll to move first turn needing a 2+ on average, and 3+ second turn.
>Overall that's about a 50% (45.4, if my math is correct) chance of losing a
>full turn's movement, not to mention the casualties inflicted.
>
>Temp

 I just faced this type of force, and was rather unimpressed.
 His force had 6 x Whirlwinds, 3 x Landraiders, 2 x Razorbacks and
2 x Predator. I was playing chaos and watched 3 x Flamer demons break
it in CC. Why? Because he was shooting at the Chaos Marines 30cm in
front of him and not watching the Demons behind the Marines. He had
all the 'shooty stuff' and got his tail kicked in CC when the Flamers
overran their Marine cover.
 This could be considered a 'TACTIC" if it weren't for being so bogus.
Any unit with a chance to move up to 75cm in a single turn and then be
so overwhelming in CC, makes the choice simple. Hmmmm

  Greg

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |