Re: [Epic][E40k] A few comments on E40k

From: Jeff Schmidt <jschmidt_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:17:49 -0500

> I still don't see what's wrong with the current critical
>tables, for the most part. I understand the part about wanting to
>randomize left/right hits, but what is wrong with the average critical
>hit doing a few (2-4) extra points of damage, or destroying fragile
>units like Super Heavy Tanks? On a rare occasion, you'll get lucky
>and only take minor damage, and if you're unlucky, you'll blow up.
>
> I feel that having the average critical hit be a "glancing
>hit" is against the feel of critical hits.

A clarification -- "glancing blow", etc. would, in my book, mean +0 or +1pt
(based on the size of the war machine) and give half-speed or immobile for
a turn (again, depending on the relative fragility of the war machine).
That's not an insignificant blow, really.

I'd (personally) like to see more of how war machines hold up, with the
original charts, before I adopt any of this. But I still want a more even
distribution of weapon hits (and it seems most folks don't have a problem
with this anyways). Experience is the best instructor... so does anyone
have any relevant battle reports of how war machines perform? I caught the
one about the Revenant (holo-fields seem to rock if you continue to roll
well), but what about the others?

Jeff Schmidt | NetCo Communications Corporation
software engineer, Mac development | 333 N. Washington Ave. Ste. 102
(612) 519-0878 | Minneapolis MN 55401, USA