Re: [Epic][E40k] A few comments on E40k

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:00:46 -0400 (EDT)

"Timothy J. Kilgore" <tkilgore_at_...> writes:
> At 10:35 PM 4/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >At 12:56 AM 4/18/97 -0400, you wrote:

> >> I need good Ideas for a close support
> >>detachment.

> >The Eldar have no close support ability. Or do you mean a general "to be
> >right behind the assault detachment" thing, and not the actual "close
> >support" ability? Don't the units supporting the assault have to be in the
> >same unit as the one actually assaulting? I don't have a book handy . . .

> What Imeant was something that can pour firepower into a detachment before I
> assualt it. I didn't mean during the actual assault or during fire fights.

        I was quite happy with the Dread/Falcon detachment. While
it's expensive, it's also pretty sturdy, *and* it moves quickly.
(20cm on the Dreads). The only problem is that you have trouble
taking a farseer (He's the softest target so gets shot first). If you
do it right, the Dreads make a good screen for the Falcons. And if
you wait for a while, you can pop the falcons up without fear of
retaliation by most other infantry/vehicles if there aren't enough
targets for the detachment in LOS.

        I also found that I really, really like the Scouts. The 45cm
move on the first turn lets them pace faster units wuch as the above
detachment, they have a 4+ save so they don't die as quickly, and
they're still only 10 points. They're my favorite screening troop for
the Eldar, and I intend to continue to take them instead of Guardians.
They're also the only other main force troops that can come 2 stands
to a squad.

Mark