[Epic] [E40k] Painting models

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:41:10 +0100

Elias Tiliakos wrote:
> I was just wondering how much detail you all put into your
> figs, particularly the infantry. Do you get rid of all the
> mold lines, etc.? What, if any, insignia do you put on your
> models? Does detail on figs really matter? Or is a base coat
> sufficient? I'm just trying to gauge how psycho I should go
> in painting my figs.

Er, can I admit going into "super-psycho overload" mode when painting my
Marine units?

Undercoat white. Base coat silver. Armour wash total figures. Paint
base green. Paint shoulder pads black. Paint bolters blue. paint
magazins gold. paint chapter insignia (silver skull) on left shoulder
pad. Paint squad insignia in white on right shoulder. Overpaint
insignia on right shoulder in the company colour. Flock base. Get eyes
checked by qualified optometrist. Get brain checked by shrink. Get a
life.

Obviously, when painting sergeants, terminators and character figures
there is a bit more detail to add.

Insignia can be spotted and diferentiated between at about 1-2 feet.
Other detail can only be seen at less than 1 foot away. Overall effect
- damn nice figures. And because they are so small, the detail work
takes very little time.

Without the fine detail, undercoat, base coat, ink and drybrush, then
paint any details you want like bolters. Flock then varnish. Stages
1-3 are done with spray paints or airbrush. A whole chapter can be done
in the space of a weekend.

Richard