Re: [Epic] Those Super Heavy weapons - long (winded)

From: The Ogre <the.ogre_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:22:48 -0700

Andy Meechan wrote:

> The case of the Death Ray Imperial Warmachine (I hesitate to use the
> words 'superheavy tank') was to show that it would be nullified by
> only one blast marker. As it was pointed out that the tank also has a
> 2FP secondary weapon, i'd just like to add that I was assuming the
> tank would be firing between the secondary weapon range (30cm?) and
> the Death Ray maximum range (45/60cm?).
>
> The point was that the SH weapon doesn't, I believe, get affected by
> blast markers to prevent silly situations like:
>
> Reaver w/3 Death Rays (bear with me here) and 3 blast markers
> cannot fire.
>
> reaver w/3 HWBatteries and 3 blast markers has it's FP reduced
> from 24 to 21 - no big deal.
>
> So why can 3 blast markers affect similar titans in such different
> ways? They can't - SH weapons are unaffected by blast markers.
>
> Another example would be a Land Raider and two Devastator stands which
> have 2 blast markers on them. The detachment would have a FP of 2 (4
> for the devastators -2 for the blast markers), how would you work out
> the Land Raider's firing? Do you allow the BMarkers to be 'absorbed'
> by the detachments FP? Do you penalise the SH weapons seperately (i.e.
> not allow it to fire)?
>
> I believe the LRaider cna fire no matter...
>
> So why am I banging on about this? Well, believe it or not, I need to
> know how the SH weapon is affected because of the potential for rules
> abuse - 11 Land Raiders can wipe out a Reaver in one firing phase, but
> the Titan cannot return the compliment - nor reduce the number of
> shots from the LRaiders under the rules! So please, if you can point
> to the place in the rules where it says SH weapons don't get
> penalised, please do - I can't find them (and don't believe the
> detachment's FP reduction covers them).

> -Andy-

In my opinion, I think it is sorta represented by a huge charge up of
the gun before it fires, like you see in the movies, where there is a
charge up required. And to get this gun aligned with the target, and
that requires moret time. And you take the view that a superheavy
weapon needs to target things fairly precisivly if targeting troops or
whatever.
Rather than a firepower based weapon chucking loads of shells into the
fray, it is just one shot.
So you take this all in, and because nothing is invulnerable, and void /
power shields dont last forever, the Princep piloting the thing isnt
going to hang around under fire. (Not that generally he has many places
to go, but run with the idea okay?).
So, he is then disrupted from getting his target aligned, and get his
shot off at his target.
And that is the effect of the blastmarkers.
Rather than with the effect of firepower things that he just snaps off
not so many shots as he normally would, or that the shots would be less
accurate.

So what do the non-belivers (and belivers) think of that view of things?
(Belivers and non - of the fact that blastmarkers effect SHWeapons)

Okay

Laterz