Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: John Haire <John_Haire_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:42:57 -0400

I have a problem with the detachments being used in this argument. Try
these detatchments on for size:

Imperial Guard
     Command Section:
          2 Imperial Guard units 64 Points
     Main Force
          6 Guard Heavy units 84 Points

     TOTAL 148 Points

Space Marines
     Command Section:
          1 HQ unit +25 Points
     Main Force
          1 SM Tactical Squad 30 Points
          3 SM Devestator Squads 120 Points

     TOTAL 175 Points

Both detatchments have the same number of units that perform the same
battle function (IG Heavy Weapons units serves the same purpose as a Marine
Devestator unit; and the 2 IG HQ units are essentially tac squads and
therefore serve the same purpose as the 2 marine tac detachments.)

I believe this example is more balanced than the previous.

By this example we find that IG troops are cheaper than SM troops when
purchased in similar quantities. The point discrepency is obviously the
result of the SM's superior characteristics and special abilities which are
only slightly offset by the IG's ability to field multiple HQ units
(allowing them to spread out their forces more than the marines).

BTW, in a force escalation scenario and using the above sample detachments,
the IG would be able to purchase 6 such detachments for every 5 purchased
by the marines, and still have a few points left over. In a 1000 point
game, that means that the IG will outnumber their marine opponents. Maybe
not 2:1 like in the old days, but still significant.

- John Haire