Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: Patrik Carlsson <f94pc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:02:35 +0200

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> Patrik Carlsson wrote:
> >
> > J. Michael Looney wrote:

> > > That will not work. You can shoot through a detachemt to hit another
> > > detachment, the only way a set of troops can "screen" another set is by
> > > being in the same detachment.
> >
> > You can only shoot through your own troops.
> > Otherwise you'd just fire at your opponents commander.
>
> "Line of fire is blocked by terrain features ... but not by other
> units." (page 18).
>
> Get over it guys, your cheese ball commanders are legal targets now,
> both as stand alone detchments (i.e. Supreme Commander) to general fire
> power units and even within a detachment by heavy weapons. The old
> moronic Games Workshop rule about legal targets IS NOT IN EPIC 40,000.

Sorry I haven't digested the rules just yet.
I guess the balance lies in the detachment/blastmarker rules.

A big detachment wouldn't put all firepower on a small unit
and if they spread the fire their ackumulated blastmarkers
(which a big detachement will get) will put a limit on the
smallest amount of fire.

Several small detachements won't work since they probably
will fire last in the shooting phase. But they will be good
to some amount since they will get rid of blastmarkers easily
and be fairly costly to fire at as above.

        Patrik Carlsson
                f94pc_at_...
        the EPICentre "http://www.efd.lth.se/~f94pc/epic/"