Re: [Epic] [E40k] Thoughts & Questions

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 01:13:53 -0700

Scott Shupe wrote:

> I was thinking that the best use for bikes would be to
> be a part of an assault det., that could keep up with the infantry
> and support it in CC. The bikes look like they're more than fast
> enough to do this, even tho they don't get to double their move
> in the assault phase. Might also be good for wrapping around the
> sides of a force being assaulted, to keep them from running away.

Correct. Great for going that magic 6 cm beyond the enemy front line, so
when he retreats 20cm, he's still within 15cm of your stuff.
This puts bikes somewhat in the role of "Chasseurs" (Napoleonic Light
Cav, originally used as 'Chasers' of a beaten enemy) or modern Armoured
Cavalry, who try to maintain contact in the same way.

> Perhaps I should have been more clear - CC vehicles look
> bad because they CAN'T double speed like infantry, and the doubling
> seems fairly important.

True. OTOH Ork CC vehicles are there primarily as transport IMHO. Fire
support is their secondary role (FP of 1 - bleah - but range of 45 makes
up for this). The CC is mainly useful in defence, when you get
counter-attacked
unexpectedly.

A good mix seems to be:
Warboss in BWgn, Psyker in BWgn, 7 Nobs, 11 BWagons, 4 Big Guns. 3
Bikes. FP of 24 at 45cm, detachment move 25cm, less than 400 pts.
But WB/BW, Psy/BW, 5 Nobs, 9 BWs, 4 BGs isn't bad either.
--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture