Re: [Epic] Chaos Players...Please Help

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:01:34 -0500

At 07:54 PM 4/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
> I can field almost any chaos unit or renegade IG ally.
>Does anyone have an idea for a successful chaos horde. I need to design
>one that is 5000 points but I barely know where to begin.

  Virtually ANY chaos army will get shot to hell before you get close to
your opponent. But, a handful of chaos troops with some well placed cards
can kill many times their point values in enemy units. So don't get
discouraged when it seems like half your army is gone by the end of the
second turn. Your fun is coming.

That being said, I would suggest:

Magnus + The Thousand Sons in rhinos or thawks (depending on how much AA
your opponent takes) - 950 points
Lord of Change + SM bikes or disc riders (mostly bikes - the riders are just
for snagging objectives or for a little pop-up) - 750 or 800 points
Lord of Change + pink horrors (they will break, but they can hold an
objective as well, or better than a GD), chaos squats in rhinos
(lots of shots) - 650
Keeper of Secrets + minotaurs or trolls. This is a wave of slow but
virtually unbeatable cc troops. You have to pick your placement
very carefully, though, or you will get blown to smithereens. If
the terrain is suitable (good cover close to the deployment zone,
preferably with an objective), I sometimes take cultists. They
suck, but they have lots of shots, take a lot of damage before they
break, and can use any card in the cc phase. - 950-1050 pts

        That leaves about 1500 points, so take your Khorne detachment
however you want. One possibility would be Khorne artillery with your LoB,
but I'm pretty unimpressed with most of the units. Personally, I'd rather
take a Reaver or pair of Warhounds and another primarch + SM company.
Angron can force a lot of morale checks if you can get him close enough to
the IG.

        In the above force, the SM, squats and bikes are quick and the LoCs
aren't too far behind. Magnus doesn't need to be quick, and the KoS and his
cc entourage are bad, bad news to anyone in their path. The Pink horrors
can snag an objective close to your line and serve as a reserve force in
case he uses his fast units to make an objective grab late in the game. I
would send the KoS and crew towards an objective around mid-board, taking
cover into consideration. The LoCs work remarkably well if you can hit an
infantry stand with the bolt of change while it is on or near an objective.
Suddenly you have a 4d6 cc monster that can't be shot, on top of the
objective. Use the Chaos Marines against anyplace where he might have heavy
units or units in cover (4+ to hit, -1 save) and the squats to cover a
killing zone (2 shots each). After they have dumped their riders out, the
rhinos can do kamikaze objective assaults or just pile on where you need to
outnumber your opponent. Use your GDs to close assault IG if convenient to
force morale checks (unless inquisitors are around).
        Overall very fast, shooty chaos force (especially if you go for
regular titans instead of LoB). It will probably surprise your opponent,
too, which is always a plus.

Temp