Re: [Epic] [E40k] Thoughts & Questions

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 13:54:56 -0500

>> << 2) Close Combat is now god above all other gods. *sigh*
>>
>> I've only played a couple of games, but so far I disagree. In CC I usually
>> only lose one or two stands, and even if I lose I have a chance of causing
>> the enemy to lose stands as well. On the other hand, I have seen entire
>> detatchments (at full stregnth!) wiped out during the shooting phase.
>> So far it has been my experience that firepower rules the game.
>
> My experience has been the exact opposite. I've
>seen fair-sized detachments all but wiped out in close
>combat, and while shooting kills stuff, it doesn't kill
>anywhere near as much as a good assault will (nor does it
>force anyone to retreat). By good assault I guess I mean
>(a) you have higher AVs than the defenders and (b) you
>have enough guys that you can shut down his supporting
>fire.
>
>Scott

What are your usual armies and opponents? How large have been the forces
you have been using?

I'm thinking of the results I've seen from a forces of 9 Falcons popping up,
10 Land Raiders on overwatch, or a detatchment of Thunderbolts vs. infantry.
In assault, each side usually seems to lose one or two models.

One caveat I should mention is that so far Temp and I have only played
small forces (c. 1200) while we learned the new rules. Surrounding an
opponent in assault and destroying him in detail has not been a very viable
tactic. I'll see if things are any different on Friday with our 2500 point
battle.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.