Re: [Epic] [E40k] Thoughts & Questions

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 15:46:15 -0400

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> What are your usual armies and opponents? How large have been the forces
> you have been using?
>
> I'm thinking of the results I've seen from a forces of 9 Falcons popping up,
> 10 Land Raiders on overwatch, or a detatchment of Thunderbolts vs. infantry.
> In assault, each side usually seems to lose one or two models.
>
> One caveat I should mention is that so far Temp and I have only played
> small forces (c. 1200) while we learned the new rules. Surrounding an
> opponent in assault and destroying him in detail has not been a very viable
> tactic. I'll see if things are any different on Friday with our 2500 point
> battle.

        Well, I've only played 3 games so far: 2 500 pt
Chaos vs Tyranids, and 1 1500 Chaos vs Marines. The 2
500 pt battles I pretty much ignore since neither of us
really knew the rules, but I did learn that relatively
large assault dets are powerful (especially if you can't
slow them down with BMs... damn bugs!).

        In the 1500 pts game, my Daemon Calvary det killed
all but 2 stands from a marine bike & speeder det in one
turn. And the marines were untouched up until that point.
I lost 2 or 3 daemons (including a worthless Bloodthirster)
in return.

        That same battle I had a bunch of Noise Marines
& LRs facing off against a bunch of Devs, Whirlwinds &
Tarantulas. We both took losses every turn, but I couldn't
get rid of the Devs (until my daemons got to that part of
the battlefield...=).

        I guess me & my opponent were taking forces more
oriented towards assault with minimal shooting rather than
the other way around, so maybe that's colored my opinion
so far. We also haven't tried using airpower yet (the
flyer rules just seem sloppy, I'm not sure I want to use
them).

Scott
shupes_at_...