Re: [Epic] [E40k] A question...

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:09:00 -0500

 ----------
From: David Lado
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] [E40k] A question...
Date: Thursday, May 01, 1997 5:02PM

>> When a skimmer pops up, the rules state that it can see over 'any blocking
>> terrain'. This caused a bit of a brouhaha on the part of my opponent in
>> my last game. I let him have his way, since it seems more reasonable, but
>> what does this phrase actually mean?
>
> Ah... the never-ending pop-up debate is back... =)
>
> As a die hard SM/TL player and begrudging convert to the new edition, I
>gotta say the annoyances seem to be starting early...this was such a
>pain fighting Eldar in the old edition, and now look...an old friend
>come to greet us... : )

The rule was never a problem. The problem is that some *players* just
plain
get a bug up their butts about it. It is not a rules problem when some-
one says "I don't like XXXX rule and demand it be changed", it's a
player
problem. I have no problem with people making house rules to change
this
(or any) rule, but it simply isn't correct to call this a rules problem.
It's like claiming that monopoly is a flawed game because you don't like
the color of the board.

David
        Ummm, it's not a matter of not liking a rule, it's a problem. We try to
stay away from applying "reality" to GW games, but we do have LOS, and
if I have some troops touching the back side of a building( no direct
LOS), a falcon doing pop-up attack would have to be in fragging ORBIT
to see them - but under the pop-up rules, they can see anything on the
board - there's no way to stay hidden from them, the only limiting
factor is range.
        Sure you can pop them after they shoot, but most Eldar players have
honed this to a fine art, saving the nastiest units until no one can
shoot back. (Yes I do play Eldar sometimes).
        A height limitation is a simple way to cover it, but it drastically
changes the way some people will play their army, and without it being
"Official" people will be choosing different heights, or playing the
normal way, etc.
        The "no cover" effect SHOULD be there for FLYERS, but NOT for pop-ups.

        To summarize my beef: pop ups allow me to stay hidden until I choose
to come out (after most of your firing is over) and I can fire at you
regardless of what's in the way.

        This doesn't ruin the game, it's just something which could've been
smoothed out in the Great Change and wasn't.
                                Chris Miller