Re: [Epic] The return of Looney Rants!

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 12:37:28 -0400 (EDT)

>> 5. Plague marines in THWgunships- I land next to you, fart
>>(summon plague wind), and half your army dies.
>
>Yep, I'd be lookin' at limiting my oponants targets if I were you...
>Snapfire weapons help, although the invisibilty chaos card will hurt you
>badly... (Chaos is like that - scissors, paper, rock, plaguewind!)

That's fairly impossible with some armies, particularly orks, which *must*
field their infantry companies. Of all the armies in the game, I disliked
chaos the most. They were all over-priced units balanced by increadibly
cheesy-annoying special powers. You would sit there and beat the living
shit out of chaos army thinking "Hey, these guys aren't so tough", then
BLAM! one special card is played and a single stand wipes out 500 pts of
troops in the blink of an eye. What really annoyed me about the chaos
cards (especially the marine reward cards) was that there was simply no
defense against most of them (especially when clever chaos players
start using thunderchickens, telekenesis, invisibility, long-legs, and
other cards to get far-away units in range to slam you with some
really nasty devestating power). There was no strategy to chaos armies,
it was all playing tricky combinations of cards to produce devestating
effects. If I wanted that sort of game, I'd play Magik the Addiction.

I'm not saying that chaos was too powerful; it wasn't. Nor am I saying
that it was necessarily easy to set up these card combos. I just don't
don't like to play that sort game; it's not table top strategy, it's
card playing.

I'll say it again. I was sooooooo happy to see all the stupid cheesy
stuff taken out the game (especially out of the chaos and eldar armies).
Sure, I lost alot of my own favorite gizmos (no more suppa-lifta-
droppas :(, but it was worth it to produce a much cleaner game (IMO
of course).

>>The 2nd ed. did have lotso character but it was not a fun game to play with
>>all the mega broken units and weapons.
>
>Do what I do. Try using tactics to defeat a superior force. (It is
>possible you know.)

Yes, good tactics can overcome cheese in SM/TL. The fundamental flaw in
the game (IMO) is that cheese can substitute for good tactics (and not
just for chaos armies). The verdict is out whether such cheese can
be created in e40k. I'm sure there is some potential for it (it is GW
after all), but I find it hard to believe it could get as bad as SM/TL.

David