Re: [Epic] The return of Looney Rants!

From: Waiming Poo-Cheong <waiming.poo-cheong_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:05:02 +0100 (BST)

> Also, chaos had many, many, ways to close the gap quickly and in complete
> safety, most of which could not be blocked in any way. On top of that,
> only 1 marine of the 15 needs to make it. It's really hard to wipe out
> 15 marines while still trying to kill the feshhounds, bloodletters,
> mortarion, and other assorted units that are just as devestating if they
> reach you. Once those demons show up and start forcing morale checks
> (with the help of chaos cards) or some such nastiness, just watch those
> orks disappear. I don't mind as much losing to an opponent who out-
> played me, but I hated losing to a bunch of chaos cards (which is the
> only way chaos armies could win, since they were otherwise overpriced).
>
> David

Tell me about it...my marine army has had Chaos as an opponent more often
than not, and it was almost always a cheesy "lets get as much firepower as
possible out of this 4000 pts" game. My line-up invariably included a
devastator company and three reavers (and that was in the pre-TL days,
when reavers were special cards and less economical to field en masse). So
a lot boiled down to the placement of my shooty units and the luck of the
dice, especially when rolling for the number of extra barrages from a
barrage missile (I mounted one per Reaver). I used to consistently roll
five or six extra barrage counters, but fail my morale checks whenever I
had to take them (shooty and cowardly marines they were).
This led to more defeats than victories, until I wised up to the tactic of
using Thunderhawks to land detachments (cheap Scouts) and grab objectives
while his army was halfway across the board.
(just random rambling there...)

"oi! come back here!"

Waiming