Re: [Epic] fate cards

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:02:59 -0400 (EDT)

>this brought up two things for me. one was the game turning on a card.
>as a rant i would like to say this seems typical of gw. they always seem
>to have at least one TOTAL LUCK card in their games.

Well, It is GW. I think they like putting alot of luck in their games
so even bad players can win ;) (Broader markets!)

One feature of SM/TL as well is that small battles are especially
dominated by luck. I think it is because in a small game, there
are fewer random events (cards, die rolls), so a lucky event is
more likely to have a drastic effect. In a larger game, it is more
likely that both players will have both good and bad luck, balancing
things out. If you think about it, a 500pt e40k game is like a
1000 SM/TL game. In games that tiny, it is very easy for single
events, like a single die roll, or a mekboy card, to make the
difference between victory and defeat.

>why the luck crap? i actually like the original ideas of the cards,
>allowing a couple of rerolls a game to help even out the luck but why
>bother with the bigger ones?
>oh well..

The cards are optional after all. If you don't like the effect they
have, drop them. I also think that playing larger games might help
prevent unbalanced luck (to a degree). Other options might be to
remove the special fate cards, or not use fate cards in small battles.

David