[Epic] Ken's Questions

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:59:42 -0400

Ken:

> group of friends, and I like this answer much better. Leave it to GW
> give out conflicting answers!

GWUS always seems to disagree, even with itself. By getting answers
direct from the game designers in the UK, we feel we're more than a bit
closer to "the truth".

> one Harridan can carry one brood of up to 5 units. GW told us that
each
> Harridan can carry 5 broods! They are smoking low-grade crack.

I agree - one brood, 5 units, IMHO.

> If I take a Space Marine only army, my strategy rating is 5. If I
buy
> Thunderhawks (listed as Imperial air), does it drop? I would believe
not,
> but who knows?

I think the evidence is clear that it stays at 5. The only confusion
arose from the fact that all of the air units were lumped under
'Imperial Air Detachment'. However, the Thunderhawk is in the SM
summary list. The Tbolt and Marauder are in the Imperial Navy list.
Only if you mix in Imperial Navy does your strategy rating drop to 4.

> Do disrupt weapons really inflict blast markers for their status as
SH
> weapons as well as for their disrupt effect? The wording is vague.

IMHO, yes they do. The additional 4+ disrupt effect is on top of the
SHW blast marker(s). We had a poll on this a little while back and
agreed that this was the vast majority's interpretation.

> Why is a Demon Prince so expensive with respect to the other,
standard,
> deamon princes (Great Unclean One, Lord of Change, etc)? It seems
that

Mainly because the cost of the Commander skill is factored in. This
usually costs 25 points for all races. So their base cost before
upgrades, without commander, would be 20 points. You want overpriced,
look at eldar farseers... 50 points +25 for HQ. Now the demon princes
start looking mighty cheap.

> And finally: What do I do with my extensive Squat army? Not to
mention
> my 3 companies (old term) and detachments (old term) of knights?

Take a look at the GW Gateway, under EPIC pages, there is one listed as
"Splort!" (I don't know why...) which has a Squat list. Also, GW is
definitely printing a Squat army list (as official as it will get) in
the next Citadel Journal. We have hammered out a good set of Knight
rules for EPIC 40k as well, since you're not the only one in this
position. I'll forward them to you.

> Overall, I like the new game system. I'm just not comfortable with
the
> level of customer service GW puts out. It is ridiculous to expect
anyone
> who has spent both money and time painting to simply accept that
their
> favorite units aren't in the game any longer.

I just came into the EPIC scene with the new version, so I have little
to complain about. However, I completely agree in principle that
eliminating armies that folks have collected is a Bad Thing. Money
talks, though, and I've heard Squats weren't selling well. Argh, eh?

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius