Re: [Epic] Newbie

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 16:35:43 -0400 (EDT)

>> >I say we hold a convention. Anyone want to volunteer their house? ;)
>> >Preferably somebody that cooks Thai food ;)
>>
>> Just what is this bizarre fascination with Thai food? Why mess with all
>> that fiddly stuff? Just give me a pile of flaming wood, a steak and a
>> potato wrapped in aluminum foil . . .

>Yes, yes! I was wondering exactly the same thing. And I agree. Though I
>wouldn't cry too hard if I could get my girlfriend to cook German food....

I like all that fiddly stuff! (Thai just happens to be my favorite).
My mom was a dang ferner, so I was fed on ferner food (I alliterated! ;).
Unfortunately, I also grew up in the southern US, where the food is rather
unvaried (actually, bland is a better word). I have had enough steak,
BBQ, biscuits, and potato(e)s to last a life-time. Then I dated a couple
of asian women (not at the same time), and discovered that the food
they eat is entirely different from what you get in asian restaurants
(at least down south). As a matter of fact, it was not that uncommon
that I would get a completely different menu when I ate at a chinese
restaurant with my chinese ex.

Having had my fill of buiscuts, gravy, and grits, I could easily eat
only Mediterranian food (spanish, ital, greek, ect) and asian food
and be quite happy. Still, I actually like all kinds of food (mexican,
etheopian, you name it).

David