Re: [Epic][E40K] Terrain

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 02:51:29 -0500

At 01:42 PM 5/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
> But the big problem was that I didn't
>want just lumpy hills--I wanted to be able to raise one whole side
>of the battlefield, or have a ridge down the middle, or whatever.

The coolest board I played on belonged to a guy I knew who bought a bunch of
packs of styrofoam insulation from a hardware store. They're a few bucks a
piece, come in packs of about 8 boards that are 16"x4'x1/2" or thicker.
When he built a hill he would stack up as much insulation as the thought he
would need and start cutting from the top. He ended up with enough terrain
layers that he could cover a 4'x8' table to a depth of about 3'. If he
wanted a river (or lava flow, or toxic swamp), he would lay construction
paper out and build the entire rest of the board up so the river was
actually the lowest point, instead of the raised platforms GW specializes
in. He could make overhangs and grottos, valleys and ridges, real chasms to
place the bridges across, whatever. Bridges were syrofoam slabs (1/4", I
think) with whatever he wanted to build up as far as superstructure goes,
and you anchored them by simply sticking a straight pin through the bridge
into the styrofoam underneath.

Another idea he had that I though was pretty good was that somewhere he had
gotten hold of a bunch of spindles used by industrial sewing factories.
They were exactly the same color as the 2nd edition building tops, and made
great smoke-stacks.

Just some ideas . . .
Temp