Re: [Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 16:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

>On Tue, 13 May 1997, David Lado wrote:
>[chomp]
>> >* I was hoping that the assault movement rules had been misread by huge
>> > numbers of people, and that you only move a total of twice your normal
>> > move (one normal move in movement phase, one in assault). But I saw
>> > the sentence about infantry moving a double move into contact. Oh, well.
>>
>> It really has to be this way. If not, it would mean that most
>> infantry would be snap-fired while setting up for a charge (due to the
>> change in the turn order).
>
>Um, it's pretty normal to be fired at when you charge into a bunch of guys
>with guns! I'd like to try a house rule where snap fire is used in the
>assault phase as well, but doesn't halt the charging units movement
>(gung-ho momentum, and all). This would mean that the assaulting force
>would lose ~16 2/3% of their force getting into contact (assuming hits
>only on a 6). Not at all unrealistic.

Speak fer yersef' Jarhead! ;) That rule will cut down 50% of eldar and
ork infantry (an alot of chaos stuff), and a whopping 66% of IG troops
(and gretchin and guardians). Now if you mean that you will make all
the snap-fire hit on a 6+ (I wasn't sure), that would be a little less
harsh.

I don't think it's too bad as it is. A well placed unit should have an
opprtunity to hit almost any unit before it hits, since most charge
distances are 30 cm or less. If you let your enemy charge from outside
LOS into close combat, you've probobly made a mistake (back to the
academy with you, recruit).

Still, a 6+ shot isn't unreasonable and might even take some emphasis
off CC.

If you do try it, tell us how it goes.

David