Re: [Epic] [E40k] Rampage question

From: Andreas Richert <aic_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:38:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Richard Dewsbery wrote:

> Page 37 of the rulebook states "Rampage units are so berserk that they
> may not retreat from combat. This means rampage units are always caught
> by enemy and destroyed if they lose a close combat."
>
> Example: a detachment containing some rampage units together with other
> normal units fights a close combat. ASCII art below.
> R - rampage unit
> F - other friendly unit
> E - enemy unit
>

> E E E E
> F R R
> E1 E2 E
> R F F
>

> R1
> R2
>
> Note - R1 and R2 are more than 15cms from E1 and E2
>
> The "rampaging" detachment loses, and the enemy scores 3 hits, all of
> which are applied to the F-units. The R-units without numbers are also
> destroyed - they cannot retreat, and have lost a close combat. What
> happens to R1 and R2?
> (a) They are also destroyed, beng part of a detachment which has lost a
> close combat;
> (b) They are broken, but not destroyed. Although they are not allowed
> to retreat, they are already more than 15cms from the nearest enemy and
> therefore safe from immediate elimination?

Nicely put. I would like to know what happens to a rampaging unit the
isn't in CC, but are within 15 cm of and enemy unit.

> Do the rampage rules apply to firefights?

I'd say no. As the rules "clearly" (a concept not entierly compatible with
GW :-): "Rampage units are so berserk that they may not retreat from
combat. This means rampage units are always caught by enemy and
destroyed if they lose a close combat."
Thus they only aply in CC and not in FF (fire fight).

Any other opinions?
> Richard

A.I.C. rules for CHAOS
Andreas Richert