[Epic] Mega-gargants (was "Trolls n Minotaurs")

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:58:10 -0400 (EDT)

>>The only thing they have are 2 krooz missles on the mega-gargant (that's 2
>>shots per mega)
>
>BTW, what ARE the new armaments on the Epic97 version of the Mega Gargant,
>and what do they do? And is the "newer" Mega Gargant worth taking at all?
>I know the 2nd Ed. one was virtually useless.

speed: 15cm
armour: 5+
fields: D6+6
Damage: 24
Assault: 36

Weapons:
  3xgundecks 8 FP/each 45 cm
  Gaze of Gork Death ray 30 cm
  2xKrooz Missulz barrage (roll AT unlimited
                           shot vs any target)
  Big Lobba Hvy Barrage 45 cm
  Wierdboy tower ------ --- (Psycher)
  Mega-Kannon Mega cannon 45 cm
  Rippa arm CC weapon ---

 Use one of the following two per turn:
  Deth Ray Death ray 45 cm
  Lifta-Droppa Lifta-Droppa 45 cm

The average critical causes +4 Hits.

Cost 640 pts

IMO, the Mega-Gargant is far improved over it's SM/TL. If you put a
Warlord in it, it automatically gets 12 fields and the command ability,
but loses it's hero status, darn it ;). A heroic mega (assault of 72!)
would have a thing of beauty :)

It is almost as tough as an imperator, and very shooty. Like all ork
stuff, it lacks long range weapons (except the krooz missulz). It
has several improvements over the old version:

1 No shield generator!
2 You can fire all the tower weapons (as opposed to 1-3)
3 The gun decks have a longer relative range (45 cm as opposed to 50 cm)
4 It doesn't suffer the old to-hit penalties for firing on the run.

Assuming totally average dice, it will take about 3 wounds per hit,
which means it will absord 6 hits before flaming out. This is, IMO,
not as good as the old mega, which I had seen take 10+ hits. So it
seems just a tad less durable. The price seems to be relatively the
same (i.e. in proportion with the other titans), and it doesn't carry
a krew anymore (which is no big deal). Its biggest loss (and the
biggest loss of all the gargants), is the Mork and Gork heads (which
gave morale bonuses).

Altogether, I much prefer the new mega. Not only is it far simpler to
use, but seems more consistant: no more twitchy power fields or self-
immolating weapons. The only real advantage of megas in SM/TL was that
they were clan cards, so you could field them without taking more clans.
This could be usefull in large battles, but is pointless in e40k.

David